tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
My car has Issues... - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Users Ads & Discussion > Motors
User Name
Password

Old 25-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Banned

Default My car has Issues...

Ok so recently I've had this problem with the driver's side door. it started small but now its just flat rate rediculas. When I shut the door it doesn't shut all the way and will usually stay slightly ajar from the hinges--over time this little issue grew into a major problem as of today when I was heading out i had to litterally slam the damn thing four times, and this is a process in itself.

(I have to lift the door from the inside, and then slam it) I know this isn't good for the door, but the problem has just exceeded and I need to know what i can do to fix it. I'm not a real car-knowlegable person, but I have done some work on the damn thing such as replacing water-cooler tubes, replacing the driver's side headlight (twice -- annoyingly enough)-(its a crap shoot car, preferably a '92 ford SUV type with a six year old battery)-(in itself I know that that has to be replaced, but overall im not worried just yet) right now it's the door I'm worried about... any suggestions?
Old 26-02-2010, 05:06 PM

The hinges sound like they're worn or have been strained. They're might be adjustment on them, if not they'll need to be replaced.
Old 26-02-2010, 07:04 PM

Hinges on larger doors tend to suffer from strain and displacement. Usually they need replacing, or, you may be able to manually adjust them. But with what you described, it sounds like you may need to get them replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbabe08 View Post
true. but it sucks, especially when nothing comes
Old 26-02-2010, 08:32 PM

Hinges without a doubt.

Open the door and lift it up to try and strain it back into place.
This might help, just till you get them sorted properly obviously.

Also, make sure you grease the latch and catch. The parts that keep the door closed.
Old 26-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Banned

Just two hours after I posted this yesterday, the unthinkable happened. I got locked in my own car... But the door was open, the pannel came loose and got snagged on a screw that held the plastic siding in. I had to ask for asisstance from bypassers, it was humiliating.

I'm going to try and fix this myself, thanks for the help guys. Unfortunate for me I'm going to look at all the doors.
Old 27-02-2010, 01:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuaphaiWolfy View Post
Just two hours after I posted this yesterday, the unthinkable happened. I got locked in my own car... But the door was open, the pannel came loose and got snagged on a screw that held the plastic siding in. I had to ask for asisstance from bypassers, it was humiliating.

I'm going to try and fix this myself, thanks for the help guys. Unfortunate for me I'm going to look at all the doors.
Only a woman could do that.
Old 27-02-2010, 02:22 AM

Had a similar problem, the latch(The bit on the B pillar that the door locks on to) had worked it way loose and all I had to do was re-agline the latch and tighten it down.

Most things like this are easily fixed by yourself, It mostly just takes patience.
Old 27-02-2010, 03:31 AM

If you are trying to re-align it yourself, make sure the window is down, and use the door frame to try and raise it. Make sure you don't go too far or else you will have a door that wont close, and a costly repair......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbabe08 View Post
true. but it sucks, especially when nothing comes
Old 10-03-2010, 07:13 PM

Which reminds me, way back in 72 when I arrived at my wedding (to Mrs Geezer No1) I opened the door of my mini outside the registry office, and it fell off, clean onto the pavement. Hinges had rusted right through the wing.

Classy entrance

Dodgy Authur Daly type advice: open the dooor fully, then jack the car up from the bottom of the opened door. Then sell the car quick!
Old 13-03-2010, 05:01 AM
Banned

Default Late in the game

Very late to respond, but the problem is solved and only after I let the door get just bad enough to where it would not close entirely. I literally had to start the car to get the windows down, and then close it from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Urchin View Post
Only a woman could do that.
Oh ha ha, I almost forgot to laugh.

Quote:
Hinges on larger doors tend to suffer from strain and displacement. Usually they need replacing, or, you may be able to manually adjust them. But with what you described, it sounds like you may need to get them replaced.
Kind of like hipdisplaysia(sp?) for large dogs, I found the power of washers.

Quote:
Dodgy Authur Daly type advice: open the dooor fully, then jack the car up from the bottom of the opened door. Then sell the car quick!
B-B-But its my first used car, and my first car... I've only worked on it... lets see, there was both coolant tubes, the drivers side bulb went out(twice), in Nov. my port lights refused to shut off, had to disconnect them all and was forced to let the driver's side light to go out because it was too hot to touch and I couldn't get it out. umm... the door, and now I'm working on the plastic side pannel... the plastic things that hold the pannel on are bent, and I recently had to unscrew the outside ones and place new screws in so that it would stay instead of catching... blah, blah, blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaah.... .... .... ... ....

Yes, I'm having fun lots!