tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Official Soccer Players A Bit Off the Radar Thread - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 21-08-2009, 08:14 PM

Oh ok, got you. Ya, if you look back at it over the time I've been on here (about 4-5 years) I've never actually been much of a champion of Landon's cause. In fact, until very recently I thought he was quite overrated and I hated that he got so much attention. I used the big fish in a small pond description quite often for him and I used to also knock him for not having the balls to give it another lash in Europe. I was much more of a fan of Dempsey, McBride and later Altidore for example.
Recently though, Donovan has started to win me over. He has shown glimpses of true quality on numerous occasions I’ve seen him in the last 12 months and I now have no doubt he could do a very solid job for a mid level European team. It is worth remembering that he isn’t an out and out front man and therefore shouldn’t be judged on goals alone. From what I’ve seen over the last year or so, he has good vision and pace, works very hard for the team, and has an excellent delivery on set pieces. He’s still relatively young and I get the feeling he might give Europe one more crack after next years World Cup.
Benny on the other hand definitely isn’t hyped and you won’t hear people talking about him as the next big American prospect ala Adu, Beasley, Donovan and now Altidore. That is why I included him in this list. He has impressed me a fair few occasions playing for the US and if I was a scout he’d be the one in midfield I’d tell people to keep an eye on. Bradley is the one who got the hype and attention (especially while in Holland) where as Benny has gone under the radar. Do I think he’ll end up playing with Man United before stepping up to play for Madrid not at all but he is a prospect who I reckon we should keep an eye on. Could easily end up on a mid level Premier League team in the next year or two. A lot will depend on the World Cup next year and how the US does, that applies to most their players actually. A good run and they could become relatively hot commodities.

-AmadeusDC-
Old 21-08-2009, 08:40 PM

Default underated

Donavan is a class player. He has not been successful in Europe as of yet , I think, due to his personality and the fact that he hasn't found the right fit. He seems introverted and conservative by nature but time will help smooth those corners. On the field he has consistently produced for the U.S. Against Italy in the last world cup he was double marked and still looked the most dangerous player on the field; he also gave Everton the run around in the MLS all-star game this year. I think his game is best suited for the English game at a team like Everton, Villa, Fulham, or West Ham. He is much better than Dempsey and he's been a relative success at Fulham.
Old 21-08-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmadeusDC View Post
Oh ok, got you. Ya, if you look back at it over the time I've been on here (about 4-5 years) I've never actually been much of a champion of Landon's cause. In fact, until very recently I thought he was quite overrated and I hated that he got so much attention. I used the big fish in a small pond description quite often for him and I used to also knock him for not having the balls to give it another lash in Europe. I was much more of a fan of Dempsey, McBride and later Altidore for example.
Recently though, Donovan has started to win me over. He has shown glimpses of true quality on numerous occasions I’ve seen him in the last 12 months and I now have no doubt he could do a very solid job for a mid level European team. It is worth remembering that he isn’t an out and out front man and therefore shouldn’t be judged on goals alone. From what I’ve seen over the last year or so, he has good vision and pace, works very hard for the team, and has an excellent delivery on set pieces. He’s still relatively young and I get the feeling he might give Europe one more crack after next years World Cup.
Benny on the other hand definitely isn’t hyped and you won’t hear people talking about him as the next big American prospect ala Adu, Beasley, Donovan and now Altidore. That is why I included him in this list. He has impressed me a fair few occasions playing for the US and if I was a scout he’d be the one in midfield I’d tell people to keep an eye on. Bradley is the one who got the hype and attention (especially while in Holland) where as Benny has gone under the radar. Do I think he’ll end up playing with Man United before stepping up to play for Madrid not at all but he is a prospect who I reckon we should keep an eye on. Could easily end up on a mid level Premier League team in the next year or two. A lot will depend on the World Cup next year and how the US does, that applies to most their players actually. A good run and they could become relatively hot commodities.

-AmadeusDC-
a sound rebuttal, Amadeus. I'll take it on board and keep my eyes open and my mouth shut. I don't think he'll be back in Europe though - he he's had two spells in Germany and the last was quite recently and again was deemed a failure. I read somewhere that on both occasions he got homesick and couldn't deal with the German way of life. He seems to be acking mentally and i don't know if he'd be able to cut the Premier League.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundyfield View Post
Donavan is a class player. He has not been successful in Europe as of yet , I think, due to his personality and the fact that he hasn't found the right fit. He seems introverted and conservative by nature but time will help smooth those corners. On the field he has consistently produced for the U.S. Against Italy in the last world cup he was double marked and still looked the most dangerous player on the field; he also gave Everton the run around in the MLS all-star game this year. I think his game is best suited for the English game at a team like Everton, Villa, Fulham, or West Ham. He is much better than Dempsey and he's been a relative success at Fulham.
One of the top 3 under-rated players in the league. He'd be worth a lot more if he was with a more respected club like Spurs or Everton. I hope Fulham hold onto him for another 18 or so. I'd say he'll have a good world cup andmove on to better things.
Old 21-08-2009, 09:58 PM

I think Luis Jiminez is a fine player, hopefully he'll do well under Zola.
Old 21-08-2009, 10:11 PM

Gignac....if you can consider him as off the radar.
Old 22-08-2009, 12:00 AM

Michel Bastos (formerly of LOSC Lille now at Lyon) is a classy player. Tore the french league apart last year. Scored a cracking goal in the champions league in midweek too.

Graeme Dorrans - West Brom player, 19 so a young lad, already a Scottish B international. Joined for 50k from Livingston and forced his way into the team at the end of last season. This lad will be a star I think, Can play anywhere across the middle but probably best in the centre, absolutely controls games already which is incredible given his lack of experience.
Old 22-08-2009, 09:19 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyoc View Post
Michel Bastos (formerly of LOSC Lille now at Lyon) is a classy player. Tore the french league apart last year. Scored a cracking goal in the champions league in midweek too.

Graeme Dorrans - West Brom player, 19 so a young lad, already a Scottish B international. Joined for 50k from Livingston and forced his way into the team at the end of last season. This lad will be a star I think, Can play anywhere across the middle but probably best in the centre, absolutely controls games already which is incredible given his lack of experience.
yup, i thought about him too but wasnt sure he could be considered as off the radar as playing for Lyon & will be playng CL
Old 29-08-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco 2005 View Post
yup, i thought about him too but wasnt sure he could be considered as off the radar as playing for Lyon & will be playng CL

I considered that but thought no one really watches French football!
Old 30-08-2009, 03:30 AM

Has anybody seen much of the young irishman james maccartey?
he had a bit of hype about him over his move from scotland to wigan,especially when its from people involved in scottish saying how much he will be missed in the spl, ally mccoist being one.
i have to admit that i havent seen him play other then a few clips but i like to hear things like this as it gives me hope for the future of irish football, we could have a star in the horizon.
Old 30-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by delzer View Post
3-5 posts id say.

i wouldnt say arsenal are a much better side either just one team defended badly and gave up gifts which arsenal took.

neither would i

they are fuckin light years ahead of neverton