tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Official MLB Thread - Page 2 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 15-03-2012, 10:38 AM

Not long to go now. Haven't seen much of spring training yet but I see Buster Posey is back for the Giants after his leg break last year, will add alot to them.
Old 17-03-2012, 05:44 AM

Pettitte returns.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Quote:
TAMPA, Fla. -- The moment that Andy Pettitte felt his heart kick back into overdrive came atop the bullpen mound of a deserted ballpark just after dawn, his dew-dampened spikes digging into the solid red mound clay once more.

Putting the pinstripes back on confirmed Pettitte's longing for more, and so the game's winningest postseason pitcher was inside the chain-linked fences of a silent George M. Steinbrenner Field this week, secretly showcasing his talents for a select audience.

You could have called it a tryout, but Pettitte's lengthy resume hardly suggests that he needed one. The Yankees agreed, and on Friday, 406 days after holding a retirement farewell at Yankee Stadium, the club finalized a non-guaranteed, $2.5 million Minor League contract with the 39-year-old left-hander.

"For me, it's a no-brainer -- I'm not scared," Pettitte said. "I don't think I'm going to fail, but I'm not scared to come back. I'm not worried about that. I'm going to trust that I know in my heart I'm doing the right thing. And I'm hoping and praying that it's going to be great."

Auditioning his wares for a group that included general manager Brian Cashman, manager Joe Girardi, pitching coach Larry Rothschild and special assistant GM Gene Michael wasn't as bizarre as it had been for Pettitte to walk into camp as a guest instructor this spring, representing his generation's Whitey Ford.

Pettitte made the hard left turn into the coaches' room instead of the familiar right into the sanctuary of the players' clubhouse. His No. 46 hung in a locker once again, but instead of running sprints alongside CC Sabathia and Mariano Rivera, Pettitte found himself chatting about the trials and tribulations of fatherhood with the likes of Ron Guidry and Goose Gossage.

Pettitte swore that he was content with his decision to retire after the 2010 season, doing so because his heart -- and not his elbow, as the lefty always feared -- had betrayed him. But Pettitte was displaying his poker face, and -- according to teammates -- not doing a particularly good job of it.

"We talked about it," Sabathia said. "It's something that I knew he was thinking about. I didn't really know which way he was going to lean toward, but I'm definitely glad that he decided to come back."

Keeping his arm in shape by sweating through endless batting-practice sessions with his sons down in Texas, Pettitte had maintained a secret dialogue with the Yankees dating as far back as December.

Cashman acknowledged Friday that he had made Pettitte a substantial contract offer in the $10 million-12 million range before the club's acquisitions of Michael Pineda and Hiroki Kuroda, but with Pettitte unable to commit, the club moved on other opportunities.

"Quite honestly, at the time, I didn't think either would happen," Cashman said of the Kuroda and Pineda moves. "But I made sure he was aware that it was possible."

Pettitte briefly stopped working out, but he so enjoyed the thrill that he quietly picked it up again. During Pettitte's last day in camp as a guest instructor, he pulled Cashman into Girardi's office, closing the door behind them and telling him that he wanted to try pitching again.

They revisited the topic on March 10 in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., when Pettitte was in the area for a church appearance, but an agreement was not officially reached until Friday morning.

"This is all about me having the desire to do this again," Pettitte said, noting he'd play for no other team. "For what I'm coming back and playing for, it's an awful lot of money and I realize that, but it's a long ways away from what we were talking about in January. But I have a desire to work again."

Managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner authorized the payroll increase to accommodate Pettitte, and if the left-hander approaches anything like the 2010 season in which he was 11-3 with a 3.28 ERA as an American League All-Star, the Yankees feel they will have a bargain.

"This is Andy Pettitte," Cashman said. "How do you say no to that potential asset, despite what you have? ... All that equipment is still there, or should still be there. Let's go see. Why not?"

Cashman said that Pettitte will likely need a full seven weeks to prepare for pitching in big league games.

"It's really hard to say," Cashman said. "He hasn't thrown in a game since October 2010. We're going to make sure we do the right thing, not cut a corner and rush and put him in a position where this is a waste of time and he's not going to be in a position to stay healthy and be healthy and not be effective. He's got to go through and get ready."

A five-time World Series winner with the Yankees -- in 1996, '98-2000 and '09 -- Pettitte announced his retirement in a news conference at Yankee Stadium on Feb. 4, 2011. He said that day that he would feel embarrassment if he were to ever return, and Pettitte acknowledged Friday that it had proven true.

"I am embarrassed that I'm coming back, but then, I'm like, 'What can I do?'" Pettitte said. "Things have changed. My desire to do this has changed, and I sure as heck don't want to look back 10 years ago and say, 'Man, I wish I would have done that.'"

The addition of Pettitte complicates a rotation picture that had figured to see Phil Hughes and Freddy Garcia competing for a final spot, behind the quartet of Sabathia, Kuroda, Ivan Nova and Pineda.

"The one thing that I know is you can never have too much starting pitching, never, because you're going to go through things during the course of the season," Girardi said. "Could it make our job a little more difficult? Sure it could. But you never know; we might need all seven. Who knows?"

Pettitte said that one of the first people he heard from was recently retired Yankees catcher Jorge Posada, who sent a congratulatory text message on Friday. Pettitte spoke to captain Derek Jeter and laughed as he told a story of Nick Swisher excitedly screaming into his cell phone.

"The guys on the club, on the team, the desire they show for me to come back has just been amazing," Pettitte said.

Pettitte has pitched 13 of his 16 big league seasons with the Yankees, spending 2004-06 with the Astros, and he ranks as the all-time leader in postseason wins (19), starts (42) and innings pitched (263).

His 203 victories as a Yankee rank third in franchise history, behind Hall of Famers Ford (236) and Red Ruffing (231), and his 1,823 strikeouts are second, only 133 behind Ford's 1,956.

Those numbers appeared to be frozen when Pettitte went through the paces of retirement 13 months ago; now, Pettitte will challenge himself to prove that there is more in the tank.

"I really believe that mentally I'll be able to get back to where I was," Pettitte said. "I believe that if I'm mentally right, I'm going to win. I just believe that."
And her iPod started to melt......
Old 28-03-2012, 09:02 AM

And we're off!

Mariners V A's in Japan gets the 2012 MLB season underway in just under an hours time.
Old 28-03-2012, 07:32 PM

New season starts in earnest next week and I think I'll post my predictions for the year if for no other reason to see how wrong I was some 162 games later!

AMERICAN LEAGUE
  • East Tampa Bay Rays
  • Central Detroit Tigers
  • West Texas Rangers

Playoffs: LA Angels & Boston Red Sox

NATIONAL LEAGUE
  • East Atlanta Braves
  • Central Milwaukee Brewers
  • West Arizona Diamondbacks

Playoffs: St. Louis Cardinals & Philadelphia Phillies

So hard to narrow down picks in the AL and struggle to pick ones in the NL.

Proof of the pudding is that my team to watch this year are Kansas City but can't see them winning their division (Tigers and an improved Twins) and given the ridiculous strength of the East and the Angels in the West they could struggle to get a playoff berth.

Underwhelmed is the only word to describe evaluating the National League - not sure will the Phillies be as dominant as they have been in seasons past,threw up the Braves but Marlins and Nats should also challenge.
NL Central is the definition of mediocrity - no Prince or Albert could conceivably mean the Cards and Brewers will be weaker but when the competition are the Astros,Cubs and Pirates they won't have many sleepless nights. Which leaves the Reds who will hit but not sure of their pitching,can't see them doing much damage in September should they get out of the division.
Old 29-03-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotty View Post
New season starts in earnest next week and I think I'll post my predictions for the year if for no other reason to see how wrong I was some 162 games later!

AMERICAN LEAGUE
  • East Tampa Bay Rays
  • Central Detroit Tigers
  • West Texas Rangers

Playoffs: LA Angels & Boston Red Sox

NATIONAL LEAGUE
  • East Atlanta Braves
  • Central Milwaukee Brewers
  • West Arizona Diamondbacks

Playoffs: St. Louis Cardinals & Philadelphia Phillies

So hard to narrow down picks in the AL and struggle to pick ones in the NL.

Proof of the pudding is that my team to watch this year are Kansas City but can't see them winning their division (Tigers and an improved Twins) and given the ridiculous strength of the East and the Angels in the West they could struggle to get a playoff berth.

Underwhelmed is the only word to describe evaluating the National League - not sure will the Phillies be as dominant as they have been in seasons past,threw up the Braves but Marlins and Nats should also challenge.
NL Central is the definition of mediocrity - no Prince or Albert could conceivably mean the Cards and Brewers will be weaker but when the competition are the Astros,Cubs and Pirates they won't have many sleepless nights. Which leaves the Reds who will hit but not sure of their pitching,can't see them doing much damage in September should they get out of the division.
no Yankees Dotty? I think they are in better shape than Boston at present.
AL East is tough to call, like last year there isn't much between them. Tampa will pitch well but their bats don't always support them. AL Central will be the Tigers for me, neither the White Sox or the Twins have as much quality, even if the Tigers lack depth behind Verlander.

NL looks weaker on paper for the loss of Pujols and Prince, but still some very solid teams there, the Cardinals will still do well without Pujols, Phillies and Braves will challenge, the Giants are better than they showed last year too. Nationals will be hoping to get a full year out of Steven Strausburg and they made a nice move in getting Gio Gonzalez too I think, but they've still some improving to do.

Failing all that, this is the cubs year, no doubt in my mind
My picks:

AMERICAN LEAGUE
  • East Tampa Bay Rays
  • Central Detroit Tigers
  • West Texas Rangers

Playoffs: LA Angels & New York Yankees

NATIONAL LEAGUE
  • East Philadelphia Phillies
  • Central St. Louis Cardinals
  • West San Francisco Giants

Playoffs: Arizona Diamondbacks & Atlanta Braves
Old 30-03-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelred View Post
no Yankees Dotty? I think they are in better shape than Boston at present.
No Yankees purely based on me thinking Rays will win the division. If they underperform then the Yankees will get a playoff berth.

With the Rays winning the division then I think the Red Sox have more upside to make the playoffs than the Yankees.

Think they have a better rotation - getting Clay back healthy and throwing well so far this Spring is a real boost. Yankees obviously have an ace in CC and I like Pineda and noises coming out about Pettitte's work since his return are all good. But I not really sure about Nova or Kuroda - think they'll get hit badly especially by their division rivals. The Yankees benefitted considerably by the overperformance of the likes of Colon last year but I don't see them being as fortunate this season. Their pen is sound though with Robertson Rivera and think Soriano will have a good year.

Ultimately I just prefer the RedSox's hitting. If Youky keeps fit then that lineup will generate runs on a nightly basis. Jacoby won't hit as many HR's as he did last year but the power is still there and will hit for a very good average,Pedroia AGon Papi have massive RBI potential. Aviles seems to have gotten the start at SS after a good spring and I'm looking at Crawford to have a good rebound year once he returns healthy.

For the Yankees obviously Cano.who will likely hit in the #3 spot,and Granderson are class and along with Teixiera will generate plenty of runs. My worry with them stems from ARod and Jeter. Both could DH a considerable amount this year and I've concerns are Chavez and Nunez up to it. In terms of their DH slot Ibanez has been swatting flys this Spring too.

That's just my opinion Rebelred - I will bow to your superior baseball knowledge (especially when you talk up the cubs!)
Old 04-04-2012, 10:35 PM

Marlins new stadium looks impressive, they get things underway properly tonight hosting St.Louis. will be interesting to see how Hanley Ramirez gets on in his new position alongside Reyes.

Roll on a great summer!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:02 PM

Tigers looked good at 2-0 A
after eight innings and in the middle of the ninth it's 2-2.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:16 PM

Tigers win 3-2.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:30 PM

Location: Living in a candy jail Peppermint bars Peanut brittle bunk beds and marshmallow walls

Red Sox lose.