tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Anyone Remember Sir Henrys - Page 30 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Music Forum
User Name
Password

Old 03-06-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudgee View Post
I dunno. I'd always thought you could get a crap 'chemical generation' novel out of the late 90s Cork scene.
"So I was back in this gaff in Richmond Hill, when yer man started arguing with a pair of curtains, in Hungarian, about Nietzsche, pure deadly like!"*

*indeed this did happen
Old 03-06-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_2_b_a_rebel View Post
There is book in it alright but not necessarily a crap one. Conal Creedon might be able to do justice to something like that.
Conal Creedon's really not a very good writer.

I'm sorry, Cork gods, but it's true.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudgee View Post
Conal Creedon's really not a very good writer.

I'm sorry, Cork gods, but it's true.

Maybe. I've only read one or two of his works but there was one which i really liked. It may have been shit but it struck a chord with me. It was a bit out there but i could relate to it and enjoyed every page. I suppose we dont have many great contemporary writers in Cork like so we gotta play with the hand dealt.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudgun View Post
How many times has that one quote been rolled out?

It was his favourite club in 1994; big deal his favourite club in 1996 was probably the Redbox, i don't see the significance?

All I see is pointless nostalgia.

Whoever made a connection between irvine welsh and trainspotting and a book based on henrys probably spent a bit too much time in henrys popping pills.
Actually it was his favourite club full stop.

I asked him on two separate occasions, in 95 and 98, and both times he said Henry's and when I questioned it, as I thought he might be humouring me knowing that I'm Irish, he said no, Henry's is it!

And while the argument can be made that all nostalgia is pointless, even though it still serves a purpose, the question here would have to be why are you even on this thread if that's your position?
Old 09-06-2008, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchaser View Post
garnier , 1994 Henrys weekender - played in "Shandras" rather than the main room.

the stuff of legend. i'm not the only one who remembers it (albeit , very badly remembered... if you know what i mean like!!)

anyone who was at that WILL say it was probably the most amazing garnier set they've ever heard.

this was about a year or two before the superclubs like Cream or Gatecrasher really took off - and there was Garnier playing a superclub soundtrack about 2 fucking years before it kicked off in more mainstream culture.

and played to us Corkonians like... what a guy...
Yes yes yes, I totally agree. Still one of the best sets I've ever had the privilege to witness, absolutely mindblowing!!

In the Circus, August Weekender 1994.
The set that inspired me to become a DJ and the one I wish I had a recording of more than any other I've seen or heard.

He was at his creative peak as a DJ then in IMO, just the right blend of music, quality mixing and approach. He was playing this crazy mix of trance, techno, house and garage that really worked before it all went completely separate, trance took off as the cheesy next big thing, and he went in a more purely house and techno direction.

I've recently come across quite a few sets of his from that year and they're all outstanding, more so than usual, even for him. Those and the two essential mixes that he did about three weeks either side of the gig in Henry's really reflect the music he played that night.

I'll never forget when he dropped Sundrums and the strobes went off as the strings came in on the break, he tore the place to bits! I'd never seen anyone do that so well before and I rarely have since!
Old 09-06-2008, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skonk View Post
I'll never forget when he dropped Sundrums and the strobes went off as the strings came in on the break, he tore the place to bits! I'd never seen anyone do that so well before and I rarely have since!
Fuck !! your really feeling that

RadioShow & VoiceDrops .. www.funkycolin.com
iTunes Key Words Funk It Up

www.facebook.com/funkycolin
Old 09-06-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skonk View Post
Actually it was his favourite club full stop.

I asked him on two separate occasions, in 95 and 98, and both times he said Henry's and when I questioned it, as I thought he might be humouring me knowing that I'm Irish, he said no, Henry's is it!
In his biograhy, he named Tokyo's Yellow as his favourite.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allergic! View Post
In his biograhy, he named Tokyo's Yellow as his favourite.
Yeah, but that's closing now so it doesn't count....

Oh... wait....
Old 09-06-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastesLikeChicken View Post
Yeah, but that's closing now so it doesn't count....

Oh... wait....
Heh,heh. I actually heard it only from a mate. Apparently his book is only available in French and Japanese so us Cork heads would be unaware. Sure I'll ask him next week...
Old 09-06-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho chi feen View Post
"So I was back in this gaff in Richmond Hill, when yer man started arguing with a pair of curtains, in Hungarian, about Nietzsche, pure deadly like!"*

*indeed this did happen
ha ha ha. daycent!