Old 05-01-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcork View Post
Great counter-argument! Good lad.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Great counter-argument! Good lad.
Does it matter what sort of an argument he puts up against Mad Duffs, Gusty and their ilk? Its just the same shite rehashed again and again.

We are now in the year 2018. Someone tell the Orangemen on here to stop acting like dinosaurs.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:54 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Sadly this is what many Sinn Féiners believe in.
Cuckoo ár lá like.
It isn't though. And cuckoo ár lá is very curry my yoghurt of you.

Sectarianism is by its nature religion related not name calling. It can of course include name calling but calling unionist bastards is ill conceived but not sectarian, now if he had called protestants bastards then you would be right.

Everyone the IRA killed was a victim of murder. Everyone the Brit Army killed, SAS killed, RUC killed, UDR killed, RHC killed, UVF, LVF, INLA, IPLO etc etc it was all murder. What some SF supporters believe is that the armed struggle was justified particularly where it was in defence of their communities. Irrespective it was all murder.

Ireland would be best run by the Irish. The all island economy makes sense. All island institutions make sense. All island tourism, food etc already prove that point.

The Brexit point is spurious and contrived.

One day all northern unionists will be in a united Ireland. They will be afforded rights and protections of their identity, culture and nationality which they never afforded to nationalists.

We must work the institutions and the Good Friday Agreement under the circumstances which they have been set up i.e. the GFA and all agreements since because there is a reality for everyone in the North that means people will be paid by the public purse. There is no alternative which you already know.

Now the difference between my points and yours is, yours is caricature and stereotype and mine is much closer to reality. Muttley will not agree but Muttley only ever sees one side of the coin which is of course his prerogative.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocides View Post
Does it matter what sort of an argument he puts up against Mad Duffs, Gusty and their ilk? Its just the same shite rehashed again and again.

We are now in the year 2018. Someone tell the Orangemen on here to stop acting like dinosaurs.
So you're hostile to democratic debate?

That's progressive.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
So you're hostile to democratic debate?

That's progressive.

Democratic debate? Is that what you call it.

I call it living in the past. And remembering only half of it. What is amusing is that the likes of Mad Duffs and Gusty are no better than the people they berate on here.

Barstool Unionists or knuckledraggers is what they are known as- take your pick.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:17 PM

Thank you tríocha-dó for engaging reasonably. You make some interesting points as usual. I'll endeavour to respond as best as I can:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
It isn't though. And cuckoo ár lá is very curry my yoghurt of you.
It was intended as a play on words not a disparagement. You are entitled to pun as Gaeilge or bilingually and I have a record of defending and using an tenaga anseo.

Curry my yogurt was something else entirely I think you will agree on reflection.

Quote:
Sectarianism is by its nature religion related not name calling. It can of course include name calling but calling unionist bastards is ill conceived but not sectarian, now if he had called protestants bastards then you would be right.
I think using an expletive to disparage and dismiss whole sections of society can hardly be seen as tolerant or pluralist. I think it betrays prejudice.

Quote:
Everyone the IRA killed was a victim of murder. Everyone the Brit Army killed, SAS killed, RUC killed, UDR killed, RHC killed, UVF, LVF, INLA, IPLO etc etc it was all murder. What some SF supporters believe is that the armed struggle was justified particularly where it was in defence of their communities. Irrespective it was all murder.
Agreed. I sometimes become weary of how people can allow themselves to be so selective of what outrages them and then so tolerant of outrages perpetrated in their name. I've seen people become tearful at the mention of Bloody Sunday and then immediately excuse Enniskillen. That's nuts.

Quote:
Ireland would be best run by the Irish. The all island economy makes sense. All island institutions make sense. All island tourism, food etc already prove that point.
I agree with this too in principle but I am confused when repubicans dismiss the entire political fabric of the 26 counties as corrupt or incompetent. This is a contradiction no matter what way you cut it.

Quote:
The Brexit point is spurious and contrived.
I may have been flippant in my illustration but the point stands. There is no northern exec because of gay marriage and the irish language. These issues are worthy and important but Jesus like, brexit is coming and NI is hugely vulnerable.

Quote:
One day all northern unionists will be in a united Ireland. They will be afforded rights and protections of their identity, culture and nationality which they never afforded to nationalists.
I genuinely hope so but I know that it won't be extreme republicans that will make that happen.

Quote:
We must work the institutions and the Good Friday Agreement under the circumstances which they have been set up i.e. the GFA and all agreements since because there is a reality for everyone in the North that means people will be paid by the public purse. There is no alternative which you already know.
I understand and agree but I think it would be helpful to acknowledge that occasionally and note the irony of that especially from the barstool type brigade.

Quote:
Now the difference between my points and yours is, yours is caricature and stereotype and mine is much closer to reality. Muttley will not agree but Muttley only ever sees one side of the coin which is of course his prerogative.
Maybe I've been clearer here. My ultimate aim was to highlight many of the contradictions inherent to extreme republican ideology. I may have employed some tongue and cheek to do so but sure all the best politics does.

I don't know who the muttly person is.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:20 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Democratic debate? Is that what you call it.

I call it living in the past. And remembering only half of it. What is amusing is that the likes of Mad Duffs and Gusty are no better than the people they berate on here.

Barstool Unionists or knuckledraggers is what they are known as- take your pick.
You should take that up with the unionists.
Good luck with that now.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:25 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:

I call it living in the past.
What do you call SF selling IRA t shirts on their official website?
Old 05-01-2018, 04:36 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:

Tis 2018 and yet you still can't get your head around the fact that people that dislike SF/IRA may also have no time for Unionists etc. I know it may be a complex scenario to grasp but you could at least try instead of looking like a complete idiot.