tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Ron Atkinson - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 23-03-2019, 04:55 PM

Default Ron Atkinson

BFR turned 80 earlier in the week.
I first saw him playing for Oxford United in the 1960s and, leaving aside his sojourn at Old Trafford, he did a very good job managing Villa in the 1990s. The 3-1 win over Man U in the League Cup Final in 1994, depriving them of a domestic treble, was especially enjoyable.
He always had a way with words - they eventually cost him his job! - and one of my favourites is: "I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat".
Old 23-03-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJ View Post
I first saw him playing for Oxford United in the 1960s and, leaving aside his sojourn at Old Trafford, he did a very good job managing Villa in the 1990s. The 3-1 win over Man U in the League Cup Final in 1994, depriving them of a domestic treble, was especially enjoyable.
He always had a way with words - they eventually cost him his job! - and one of my favourites is: "I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat".
I enjoyed big Ron.. he was hard done by
Old 23-03-2019, 07:22 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Why?

He had a very decent spell at United the first few years. Two FA cup wins, never out of the top 4 (would be seen as great these days ffs), and one wonderful European night where Graeme Hogg, I repeat Graeme fucking Hogg had Maradona in his fucking pocket.

big Ron was a decent football manager.
Old 23-03-2019, 07:29 PM

Always appreciated his sartorial style.
Old 23-03-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
Why?

He had a very decent spell at United the first few years. Two FA cup wins, never out of the top 4 (would be seen as great these days ffs), and one wonderful European night where Graeme Hogg, I repeat Graeme fucking Hogg had Maradona in his fucking pocket.

Agree..you got your point across early doors
Old 23-03-2019, 08:13 PM
Banned

Isn't he the racist?
Old 23-03-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice is yours View Post
Isn't he the racist?
Wouldn't think so . He brought Paul McGrath to Villa after Ferguson wanted rid of him. McGrath won EPL player of the year in a Villa team that also had Townsend Staunton and Houghton.
Big Ron loved McGrath and vice versa.
I don't see racism in that
Old 23-03-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
Why?

Sorry, Donald, I didn't express myself very well. He was indeed very good at Man U and indeed wherever he managed. As a Villa supporter, I think he's a legend!
Old 23-03-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Sorry, Donald, I didn't express myself very well. He was indeed very good at Man U and indeed wherever he managed. As a Villa supporter, I think he's a legend!
BBJ
Don is kind. McGrath was and will always be called God in the Holthe end.when nobody wanted him he became one of the biggest legends in Villa history. To win the EPL player of the year from Villa says it all about Ron and Paul. Still have the jerseys from them years.
Old 24-03-2019, 02:31 AM
PROC Member

Sorry lads but some really skewed revisionism going on here. When Atkinson was outed for racism he didn’t just call the seriously dignified Marcel Desailly the n-word he brought all the racial stereotypes he could together by saying “in some schools he would be known as a thick, lazy n-.” What school would that be now Ron? Maybe the school where students would know the answer to one of your favourite questions when you were West Brom’s manager - “Name the six footballers whose names end in ‘o’ who have played for West Brom since the war?” Answer - Ken Foggo, Len Cantello, Joe Mayo and the three sambos. Ho, ho, ho. The three so called ‘sambos’ were Cyrille Regis, Laurie Cunningham and Brendon Batson, absolute legends of the club. When Atkinson got in trouble for racism he kept mentioning how he promoted them when he was manager. He brought in Batson from his old club Cambridge alright but Regis and Cunningham were already first team players brought through by Johnny Giles and in the English U21 team when he arrived. He did something similar with the great Paul McGrath by suggesting he rescued him from the scrap heap. He didn’t. Graham Taylor took McGrath to Villa. In all the years he managed McGrath he continually referred to him as McGraTH, making sure to pronounce the -th. What was that all about? A simple mistake? It was hardly as if the great man’s name was unknown. It’s clear from the texts here that Atkinson has had some success in promoting himself as a victim. Some bloody victim.