tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
"Cork's" opposition to opening Croke Park - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 11-02-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyCochrane View Post
He's actually from Fulham.

Better yet.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:57 AM

To get back to the topic, yes it is embarrassing that our county board were so opposed to opening up Croker, I mean you can understand the Northern counties being against it, because of Crossmaglen and all that but we're at the other end of the island from them FFS.
It's even more surprising 'cause every intercounty Cork GAA player/manager who is asked about it said they are in favour of it (ie Joe Deane and John Allen to name two).
Old 12-02-2007, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northmallexile View Post
I imagine Eoin was referring to hurling specifically, rather than Gaelic Games. There's plenty football in Connacht & Ulster, like.

As for the lack of hurling, I blame the drumlins. Fierce hard on the old sliothars, are the drumlins.
Yeah, I was talking about hurling. There's obviously a massive market for the GAA in the north. Look at the crowds who follow the football. Surely some of them could be encouraged to pick up a hurley.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolaKubes View Post
Troglodyte.

And reputedly my family were in the first wave of Gaels to arrive here so don't be lecturing to me about "diluting our Gaelic heritage".

You're probably some bastard offspring of a garrison town.
and you're probably a cunt. Just what the GAA needs take the Gaelic out of the game...what a muppet.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam2me View Post
what an uninformed post.

name one GAA team based abroad that isn't 99.9% irish and based around irish communities? now look at various rugby/soccer teams, are they so deeply based in english players? of course not. and i've played in london, where teams struggle to get 15 out sometimes. please don't post about something which you don't have a clue, just for the sake of an argument

any of the football teams in queensland only 3/5 visa players allowed
Old 13-02-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
Yeah, but they should at least be able to get more people to play hurling in Ulster and Connaught so that someone else besides Cork and Kilkenny actually has a chance at an all-ireland. The Christy Ring cup is a step in the right direction, but something more needs to be done in the 2 weak provinces.
3 weak provinces. The decline in leinster hurling standards outside of kilkenny in recent years is most alarming. It's very hard for hurling to get a foothold in the northern counties, where it is often seen as a hindrance to football by most of the bigger clubs.This of course is total bollox but thats how they see it. With the introduction of a national hurling officer in the form of Paudie Butler, I'd be optimistic that this attitude towards hurling in many counties will change, but it will take a long time for it to happen.
Old 13-02-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Full Ham View Post
and you're probably a cunt. Just what the GAA needs take the Gaelic out of the game...what a muppet.

Go home yank.
Old 13-02-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam2me View Post
what an uninformed post.

name one GAA team based abroad that isn't 99.9% irish and based around irish communities? now look at various rugby/soccer teams, are they so deeply based in english players? of course not. and i've played in london, where teams struggle to get 15 out sometimes. please don't post about something which you don't have a clue, just for the sake of an argument
Zurich
Old 13-02-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube a Pringles View Post
Zurich
add Milwaukee to that list too, started by an American I believe
Old 13-02-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube a Pringles View Post
Zurich
Or St. Anthony's GAA in Reading.

They even had an Albanian lad playing with them a couple of years back, but there's a good few english and welsh there.