Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 16-04-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam2me View Post
I have no issue with the grassroots of Gaelic games by any means, and like I said, Kelly was a breath of fresh air, obviously you've got your back up which is why you've gone on this pathetic defensive tirade (I was actually defending the idea that Gaelic games are an important part of peoples lives, has your hair trigger sense of entrenchment missed that?).

I love hurling and football as sports, I don't believe there is a more skillful sport than hurling on this planet. But I'm not so blinded as to see that the GAA as an organisation,
like the IRFU or any other, has faults. Being defensive and pretending the likes of the GAA are perfect is the same small minded mentality that got FF and the catholic church to where they were
I'm sorry man, y'see with my pathetic, childish, idiotic, entrenched GAA head up on me I didn't realise that a line like "I'm not defending the GAA, they're idiots" was actually a nuanced and subtle critique of the associations strengths and weaknesses.

But then of course how could a mere toothless simpleton of an idiot like me understand the level that a towering intellect like you operates on?
Old 16-04-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyCork80 View Post
Comedy gold there kid. Call a very large group of some quarter of a million people idiots and then have the gall to condemn them as childish, immature and having a backward them and us mentality.

YCNMIU

But sure what would I know? I'm only an idiot that supports my local club and county. The type of idiot involved with an idiotic organisation that built one of the biggest and best stadia in Europe when all around them were playing in a kip and waiting on Sam Hamman and Wimbledon to build them one in the Phoenix park. The type of idiotic organisation that has active branches providing sports, educational and social facilities in every parish in Ireland. The type of idiotic organisation that hosts the best attended womens sport event in Europe every year. The idiotic organisation that provided it's whizz-kid neighbours with a place to play for three years while they fucked away the guts of e400million to increase the capacity of lansdowne by 500. The idiotic organisation that attracts a million spectators a year to see amateur sports.

Complete idiots every last one of us.
Dont limit it to Ireland Tony! and this is not even a full list!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...utside_Ireland
What seems to be forgotton amongst a lot of the news of clubs being decimated at home is that the GAA overseas is thriving. Think we have 27 clubs out here in Asia now when I came first 9 years ago there was about 10.
GAA clubs overseas are the first port of call for a fair % of those emigrating
Old 16-04-2012, 07:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by down da Castle View Post
What seems to be forgotton amongst a lot of the news of clubs being decimated at home is that the GAA overseas is thriving. Think we have 27 clubs out here in Asia now when I came first 9 years ago there was about 10.
This is true, they were always popular here, in the last 5 years or so it's actually getting into the local schools.

All the ones near me have lessons as an extra curricular activity and teams, its very popular.
Old 16-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
which was part of my original point about the IRFU funding the Exiles in the UK. If the GAA did more abroad, not only would they not lose players, they would gain them. There will always be a saturation point on such a small island. Get the games promoted to locals abroad through expats and they could really be onto something as the sports themselves are fantastic. But those at the top of the GAA are too small minded for this.
Old 16-04-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RutlandStreet View Post
This is true, they were always popular here, in the last 5 years or so it's actually getting into the local schools.

All the ones near me have lessons as an extra curricular activity and teams, its very popular.
What a pack of small-minded entrenched idiots they really are!
Old 16-04-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosexy View Post
People are struggling to pay bills,serious mental health issues, losing loved one's abroad and the GAA are constantly crying to the papers about losing players.

Years ago they were crying about losing players to Aussie Rules (how many good players have they actually lost? Is the figure even over 5?) and now tis the recession.

It is insensitive. No one gives a fuck if some shit hole town loses a few players. These guys need jobs and best of luck to them.
who is constantly crying about it? You're the first person to bring it up here
Old 16-04-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam2me View Post
which was part of my original point about the IRFU funding the Exiles in the UK. If the GAA did more abroad, not only would they not lose players, they would gain them. There will always be a saturation point on such a small island. Get the games promoted to locals abroad through expats and they could really be onto something as the sports themselves are fantastic. But those at the top of the GAA are too small minded for this.
The GAA do plenty abroad. I can speak to Asia where they send referees from Ireland to officiate at our major tournaments, provide financial assistance as well as being a constant source of support. At our major tournament last October in Seoul, there were 40 nationalities represented and approx 800 players. The GAA president was there, as was the Camogie President, Overseas board chair, 2 referees from Croke Park, representatives from the Leinster council
Old 16-04-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
The GAA do plenty abroad. I can speak to Asia where they send referees from Ireland to officiate at our major tournaments, provide financial assistance as well as being a constant source of support. At our major tournament last October in Seoul, there were 40 nationalities represented and approx 800 players. The GAA president was there, as was the Camogie President, Overseas board chair, 2 referees from Croke Park, representatives from the Leinster council
Too little too late DdC, 2me has spoken. Idiots and backwoodsmen the lot of them. They need to learn from the IRFU.
Old 16-04-2012, 01:09 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
What use is that if GAA clubs in this country are shutting down cos they have no-one to play?

GAA clubs in these towns/villages are about more than just sport.

All jokes aside Eoin, the centres of activity in most rural areas are the pub and the dancehall/disco. Have you ever seen the film "Ballroom Of Romance"? Only fit men and women can play GAA but people from 19-90 can frequent the pub and the dancehall.
Factories, pubs & dancehalls closing down is a worse symptom of emigration imo. as people lose their livelihoods. While GAA clubs losing members is sad, it's hardly a priority to be shouting about from the rooftops.
Old 16-04-2012, 01:46 PM

lee dancehalls died out 25 years ago. red hurley & dickie rock aint touring much these days