Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 08-03-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tictac View Post
Peeejay just said that there is a bad accident with a cyclist on the douglas road. Emergancy services at the scene.
Another young fella acting the maggot

Old 08-03-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerblaster View Post
That was nice of him, a cyclist would have told you to fuck off
Heh heh heh....
Old 08-03-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
Liable to damage? Do you mean he could be made pay for the damage and loss (of a car for a week) in this case? How exactly was the motorist supposed to get the money - exchange insurance details with the cyclist?
Small claims court of course, where most of these types of things go on. I did it myself and got a few hundred from a driver who damaged my property, as in my bike.

The loss of a car for a week is not something that would generally be paid out though. At least I have not heard of awards been given on this basis, but payment for damage to the car/bike? Yes, absolutely.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drucker View Post
0 deaths.

Gwonyalanger

Technology will get us there, as in autonomous driving. Remove the dumb human from behind a 1.5 ton vehicle and all of a sudden road deaths, including pedestrians and cyclists will be near 0, maybe not quite 0 in reality but much much lower then it is now.

What is the common denominator of road deaths in Ireland? Dumb humans behind the wheels.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:55 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jank View Post
Technology will get us there, as in autonomous driving. Remove the dumb human from behind a 1.5 ton vehicle and all of a sudden road deaths, including pedestrians and cyclists will be near 0, maybe not quite 0 in reality but much much lower then it is now.

What is the common denominator of road deaths in Ireland? Dumb humans behind the wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbabe08 View Post
awww you're a sweetie *hugs*
Old 08-03-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
You have to guess where the bumper is?

Most cars nowadays have sensors and cameras to assist drivers.
Fair point. unfortunately no such sensors/cameras on my 10yo car.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:

Seat belts, airbags, anti-lock brakes, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

An autonomous car is driving past a bus queue. Suddenly an HGV coming the opposite way suffers a blow out and veers across the road towards it. Does the autonomous car protect it's occupants by swerving to avoid the HGV and plough into the bus queue, killing six pedestrians?

What do you think will happen?

By the way, some cyclist comes down Shandon Street and ploughs into the pub at the bottom, suffering fatal injuries.

No other vehicles involved.

Common denominator?

Gwonyalanger.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Small claims court of course, where most of these types of things go on. I did it myself and got a few hundred from a driver who damaged my property, as in my bike.

The loss of a car for a week is not something that would generally be paid out though. At least I have not heard of awards been given on this basis, but payment for damage to the car/bike? Yes, absolutely.
I got a couple of hundred off a guy who hit my wing mirror while overtaking me on his pushbike. The case was heard in the small claims court.

Anything can happen on the INTERNET.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:33 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyjimmy82 View Post
Not sure what you mean? on a bike you are not restricted by doors, pillars, floor, roof etc. You can see exactly where your front wheel is. In a car, people have to guess where their front bumper due to a long bonnet.

On a bike you are far more spatially aware than you are in a car.
Do you know what spatially aware actually means. Someone driving a larger vehicle has to be more spatially aware to manoeuvre their vehicle without impact.

You may contend that an unencumbered cyclist is more in tune with the environment and better able to hear the approach of other vehicles but folk driving cars need (to avoid accidents) to be every bit as spatially aware as those driving bicycles.

Do you think pedestrians need to be the most spatially aware or summat?
Old 09-03-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I got a couple of hundred off a guy who hit my wing mirror while overtaking me on his pushbike. The case was heard in the small claims court.
The small claims court exists for this very reason. By all means dismiss it as trivial but offering solutions is better than cribbing endlessly like a misery junkie on PROC.