Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 07-03-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
So you think we should build a better airport which was the question I was asking.............. .
It is a new airport terminal and capicity expansion to 5 million passengers easily.

Longer term the runway needs extending
Old 07-03-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
It is a new airport terminal and capicity expansion to 5 million passengers easily.

Longer term the runway needs extending
Longer term the East-West runway needs to be extended. Isn't the biggest problem the fact that the winds normally come from the East/West, which cause problems for a North/south runway ?
Old 07-03-2018, 11:35 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdagap View Post
Longer term the East-West runway needs to be extended. Isn't the biggest problem the fact that the winds normally come from the East/West, which cause problems for a North/south runway ?
Agreed 07 / 25 would be the better one for an extension alright, the question is though is there enough flat land to the West of the airport to accommodate a decent runway?

Also regarding Norwegian and Cork, I was speaking with a guy during the week who is well in with the airport and travel etc, he said that they have survived the test months of November and February.
Having travelled on that service himself, his buddies in Aer Lingus were mad enquiring about the route, service etc.

It is a fucking disgrace that those wankers in EMC are continuing to go to Dublin airport when they could go directly from Cork airport.
They probably feel low cost carriers are below them.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
It's probably not as simple as that. There's an insurance piece when travelling for work. I travel a bit and when my flights are booked an outsourced company are used. Norwegian are likely not on their radar. I was actually in Boston recently and Norwegian was even given as an option even though it did cross my mind. Dublin is my local airport btw, so Norwegian out of Dublin is what I would have been doing.
He said it took Norwegian a few months to get on their internal travel booking system but they've been available as an option since October
Old 08-03-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
Agreed 07 / 25 would be the better one for an extension alright, the question is though is there enough flat land to the West of the airport to accommodate a decent runway?

Also regarding Norwegian and Cork, I was speaking with a guy during the week who is well in with the airport and travel etc, he said that they have survived the test months of November and February.
Having travelled on that service himself, his buddies in Aer Lingus were mad enquiring about the route, service etc.

It is a fucking disgrace that those wankers in EMC are continuing to go to Dublin airport when they could go directly from Cork airport.
Yes there's plenty of land to the west. If you look at http://map.geohive.ie/mapviewer.html with Contours option switched on, you can see that there's only a variation of 10 metres between the west end of the 07/25 runway to almost the dual carriageway going past the viaduct. It's about 140m at the end of the runway, dips to 130, and back up to 140m. The major danger iirc, was that there was land owned by cork airport at the end of the western runway that the DAA tried to sell behind the back of the then CAA. They were only caught out when the estate agent told someone.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:14 PM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian View Post

EMC did use
Old 09-03-2018, 02:12 PM

Crows Nest student apartment scheme gets the go-ahead from An Bord Pleanala
Old 09-03-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Crows Nest student apartment scheme gets the go-ahead from An Bord Pleanala
Great that another derelict site will be gone, can't say I am a fan of the design though, a bit communist block looking to me!!

http://planning.ucc.ie/
Old 09-03-2018, 04:34 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesider View Post
Great that another derelict site will be gone, can't say I am a fan of the design though, a bit communist block looking to me!!

http://planning.ucc.ie/
Cheap and cheerful m8

It's not terrible in fairness.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:52 PM

Little imposing, but at least it probably won't be dull.

That area is ripe for a decent pub. Besides from the Kinglsey which really isn't for students, I think the closest pub is now the Old Bar. Lot of thirsty students round there.

One for Benny to get sorted?