Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 05-03-2018, 12:19 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocides View Post
I'm not sure what the alternative is here. Is there one?
The Cork system works very well, from the county perspective, we are producing players of a very high quality for the last few years.
But the clubs are being slightly isolated in this, it looks like any club with a good player has to accept that player is only available to them on a limited basis, this creates a perspective in the players head that is counter productive to everything the gaa should be about, that the county squad is more important than his club.
If we can tweak that to favour the club then we are in real business
Old 08-03-2018, 09:55 AM

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...ds-468009.html
Old 09-03-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red&blue View Post
The Cork system works very well, from the county perspective, we are producing players of a very high quality for the last few years.
But the clubs are being slightly isolated in this, it looks like any club with a good player has to accept that player is only available to them on a limited basis, this creates a perspective in the players head that is counter productive to everything the gaa should be about, that the county squad is more important than his club.
Works well? Explain? We have still nothing done at underage level or u21. A ticking the box process.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:44 AM
dan ball

Quote:
That's a pretty big tweak.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moccork View Post
Works well? Explain? We have still nothing done at underage level or u21. A ticking the box process.
There is no doubt we are behind other counties but we are catching up. AFAIK the 2016 minor team were the first team to come through the new Rebelog academy system from start to finish. Also we are starting to dominate the underage IC tournaments as well so there definitely has been progress. The issue for me is who takes the development squads forward to minor and u21

Last edited by TopicGrinder; 09-03-2018 at 10:00 AM..
Old 09-03-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moccork View Post
Got to minor final and won the u17 All Ireland
That’s decent progress in my opinion considering what went for 15 years before it
Old 09-03-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Think people are getting mixed up between development squads and minor team.
U16 down are considered development squads and from my recollection, they have 12 training/match days throughout the summer as agreed with Rebel og. We had 2 players on the u15 last year and they never missed a match or training with us because of development squads.
Minor is a different beast but let's not get them mixed up.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightHalfBack View Post

I contrast this with the Celtic Challenge which was another squad system at U17 and this was a shambles ( at least it was in 2016 ) - management didn't know enough about the players, played fellas out of position, coaching was very poor, games and training were badly organised, young fellas didn't know whether they were supposed to turn up or not, dropping by text etc etc - an example of the way to turn young lads off ever trying to hurl cor Cork.
2016 was the first year of the competition nationwide, think it was a bit of a shambles for everyone.
How about you give some feedback on 2017 which from what i seen and comments from Kevin O'Donovan indicate a very inclusive program.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:40 AM

as far as i was aware development squad sessions are nearly always on dates when the clubs aren't fixed so players shouldn't be missing really for club games. would be a terrible set up otherwise
Old 09-03-2018, 08:09 PM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corksport/...725210f7252-ds