Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 09-02-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube a Pringles View Post
The bauld Ali Selim and his ideas is one thing guys, but linking fgm to Islam is fundamentally wrong.
Apologist alert
Old 09-02-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P Splonk View Post
Apologist alert
In what sense?
Old 09-02-2018, 04:27 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxetten View Post
Ok, you are in favour of free speech for yourself and your fellow aggressive secularists but not for people who have different beliefs to yourself.

Fair enough.

Black Friday for the KDonald.

Fwiw, I am glad that Selim has spoken out on this matter as it shines a light on one of the darker corners of Islam, I suppose it would be too much to expect that he will get a visit from the guards and be asked to explain why is advocating illegal activities?
It's actually fairly simple Rox. Follow your religion and its rules if you like, but don't tell me I have to.

If you don't like it, move to a theocracy.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:00 PM

More stuff from Comical (but dangerous) Ali
Quote:
the far-right religious conservative Ali Selim, general secretary of the Irish Council of Imams, is linked to the Clonskeagh mosque.
In 2003 on the Late Late Show, Ali Selim apparently declined to condemn 9/11: "This is another political issue I do not want to touch."

"Selim's Lot", interview, Hot Press, 1 Nov 2006.
Ali Selim says he does not believe the London 7/7 bombings were carried out by Muslims: "events that happened in England - I personally haven't seen compelling proof that that was done by Muslims." Hot Press: "But the 7/7 bombers were Muslims!" "In my understanding, I haven't seen proof that those who did that were Muslims."

He also expresses doubts about the standard theories of 9/11. He says he is against violence, but declines to judge Bin Laden as a terrorist, saying he would have to meet him and talk to him. He declines to say that people should have the right to draw cartoons of Muhammed in a free society.

He declines to condemn the fatwa against Salman Rushdie. He defends Sharia law if the majority want it.
He says about Iraq: "all the Iraqi people describe themselves as fighting against the occupation", which is nonsense. How about all of the Iraqi army and police, who are fighting with the occupation against the jihadis? He says: "So they see that they have no other alternative", which sounds like support for violence to me. If not, clarify this here. And they do have an alternative. They don't have to fight allied troops. They can simply vote for a party that asks for the occupation to end. Why didn't they? The answer is because they don't want the occupation to end. At least, not yet.

He never has doubts about his belief in an invisible supernatural being: "Never! Never. Never. There is God, all the time. I find it really very strange if someone believes - or even thinks - that there is no Allah or there is no God." Maybe he should read a bit more.
In short, he is at best a useless neutral in this global war. He will be of absolutely no use at all in this conflict.

Ali Selim says that sharia law should rule Ireland if there is ever a Muslim majority, 24 Sept 2006.
No other minority that I know of threatens our ancient freedoms like this. Only the Muslim community, apparently. If there is any other minority that has openly threatened our ancient freedoms in Ireland, let me know here.

Ali Selim's disturbing performance on the Prime Time 2006 program:
He claims that Muslims are the major victims of violence worldwide. Despite the non-stop killings by the jihad all over the world, every day since 9/11 (every day since the start of Islam in fact), he says: "Look to the east or to the west, or wherever you want to look, you will find that it is only the Muslim blood being shed everywhere."

He refuses to condemn Bin Laden. "Well, I don't know him. Consequently, I can't say I respect or do not respect him."
Yeah, we know where you're coming from. We understand you, even if Mary Fitzgerald doesn't.

Ali Selim, 10 Feb 2014, supports the Irish blasphemy law using some comical double-speak: "Islam advocates freedom of expression. ... According to Islam, God, angels, holy scriptures, prophets, disciples or companions and places of worship are to be protected by the state against any publication or utterance of blasphemous matter. ... Islam is pro-freedom of expression ... Mocking at religious values should not be tolerated."

Ali Selim, Jan 2015, shows his true colours again.
After the Charlie Hebdo jihad massacre, Ali Selim threatens legal action if anyone in Ireland prints a cartoon of his alleged "prophet". He says: "definitely we will check the Irish law and if there is any legal channel against you, we will take it ... you can't portray the Prophet Mohammed."
He comically adds: "I am a great advocate of freedom of expression".
http://markhumphrys.com/clonskeagh.html#ali.selim
Old 09-02-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
Okay Michael, this is obviously a bit complex for you. But basically, believe whatever myths you want to, but don't expect those of us who don't believe them to follow your morality, that is based on these myths.

'Kay?
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ted-bill-hicks
Old 09-02-2018, 07:48 PM
Senior PROC Member

Exclamation

Quote:
It's actually fairly simple Rox. Follow your religion and its rules if you like, but don't tell me I have to.

If you don't like it, move to a theocracy.
Steady on there m8, I was the one who took issue with Selim's comments, which are an outrage, hardly the attitude of someone who wants to live in a theocracy, you dragged up the Catholic church as a deflection and as an attempt at a wum.

I'm happy to live in a democracy where all can air their views, Catholic, Muslim and Atheist alike, and will judge views expressed by all on their merits and won't dismiss a point of view just because I don't subscribe to the beliefs behind them.

#progressive

#openminded
Old 09-02-2018, 08:29 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxetten View Post
Steady on there m8, I was the one who took issue with Selim's comments, which are an outrage, hardly the attitude of someone who wants to live in a theocracy, you dragged up the Catholic church as a deflection and as an attempt at a wum.

I'm happy to live in a democracy where all can air their views, Catholic, Muslim and Atheist alike, and will judge views expressed by all on their merits and won't dismiss a point of view just because I don't subscribe to the beliefs behind them.

#progressive

#openminded
Good for you. But, I won't. For instance, when pubs are closed in deference to one particular religion on a certain day every year, I will call for Catholics to let the rest of us go to the pub, if we so wish.

Stop telling others how to live.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:39 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Good for you. But, I won't. For instance, when pubs are closed in deference to one particular religion on a certain day every year, I will call for Catholics to let the rest of us go to the pub, if we so wish.

Stop telling others how to live.
The Good Friday rule is gone, drink away on that day if you wish but don't pretend that in 2018 you feel that I and my fellow Catholics are impinging on your rights because that is pure snowflakery.

It's men like the good doctor Selim you should be watching out for, not the rosary bead brigade.

Keep your hands off the Angelus btw, that's a red line.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:06 PM
Senior PROC Member

The Angelus must go. I want my news at 6.00pm, NOT 6.01.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:51 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
The Angelus must go. I want my news at 6.00pm, NOT 6.01.
Not the ol get rid of the Angelus. What would we replace it with? Maybe the National Anthem than we have the non-nationalists up in arms.