Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 09-02-2018, 12:14 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
What do you find potentially sinister about them Jeeps?
Because there has been significant 'mission creep' on these. The civil service ultimately wants to require everyone to have one of these, and that they be mandatory for accessing any public services. They want biometric data stored on them and I even read one suggestion (I honestly don't remember where it came from, so don't ask) that they should be required for opening/verifying Facebook accounts, for opening bank accounts and various other things that do not fall within the remit of the state.

They're going down the route of a mandatory national ID card. Do we want that? I don't. As long as you're not doing anything illegal, you should be entitled to go about your doings as anonymously as you want to.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:15 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
hes not being serious
lol, I am though. I don't like them, at all.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers View Post
Because there has been significant 'mission creep' on these. The civil service ultimately wants to require everyone to have one of these, and that they be mandatory for accessing any public services. They want biometric data stored on them and I even read one suggestion (I honestly don't remember where it came from, so don't ask) that they should be required for opening/verifying Facebook accounts, for opening bank accounts and various other things that do not fall within the remit of the state.

They're going down the route of a mandatory national ID card. Do we want that? I don't. As long as you're not doing anything illegal, you should be entitled to go about your doings as anonymously as you want to.
Fair points.

On a side note, do you think honky was on the beer this morning?
Old 09-02-2018, 12:21 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxetten View Post
I have one, it's a real pain having to go down to the doleys office to confirm your identity.
Did you shower after?
Old 09-02-2018, 12:21 PM
PROC Member

Quote:

It should cut out the social welfare fraud that was rampant when ya had foreigners collecting their dole at multiple collection points with different cards .
I don't see the harm in it m
Old 09-02-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
Fair points.

On a side note, do you think honky was on the beer this morning?
ha - did ya see the case of wine I got my mitts on?.. I swear I didn't open any yet
Old 09-02-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:

JeepY.. I an tell you with complete certainty that there is no mission creep - the stuff you don't like has always been there but just not put out there! There is biometric data on your card
Old 09-02-2018, 12:25 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicGrinder View Post
Did you shower after?
Yes.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:26 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcatraz View Post
It should cut out the social welfare fraud that was rampant when ya had foreigners collecting their dole at multiple collection points with different cards .
I don't see the harm in it m
I don't see the harm in what it was originally intended for. I am very much against social welfare fraud. My concern is that it seems to be going well beyond its original remit, and it's happening slowly but surely. At this rate, we could be obliged to carry them with us at all times within ten years.

http://www.thejournal.ie/public-serv...40426-Feb2018/
Quote:
The PSC was first introduced in 2012, and initially was used purely as a gateway for jobseekers’ benefit.

As of last summer its usage has been expanded to driver theory test and first-time passport applications, together with all services offered by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) – with further expansion to many more services firmly in the pipeline.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:00 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
I don't see the harm in what it was originally intended for. I am very much against social welfare fraud. My concern is that it seems to be going well beyond its original remit, and it's happening slowly but surely. At this rate, we could be obliged to carry them with us at all times within ten years.

http://www.thejournal.ie/public-serv...40426-Feb2018/
But like , once ya get it , ya just throw it into your wallet & forget about it . Just like your ATM cards . If someone wants you to produce it , just do it there & then . If you have nothing to hide I don't see where the issue is . It can be handy way if identification too . Although it doesn't have your dob on it .