Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 06-02-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TykeTastic View Post
Hecky to Leeds. Upsetting, and hard to put into words what I am feeling but I'll have a go.

My favourite time bar none was watching the Clark team evolve into the Hunter team and spent most of my teens watching not only the best football at Oakwell but the very best of times. The French have a word - terroir - for everything that is good about wine; the soil, the grape, the temperature, the cellar; the culmination of all that makes the perfect wine. I'd like to think there was a similar word to describe the experience at Oakwell in the early 80's. For me it was Norman Hunter, 11 players and a sub, massive crowds, passionate crowds, the smell of bovril, pies and tobacco, the smell of chimney smoke walking towards the ground, the club shop, my beloved corner of the Ponty, the walk back to the bus station surrounded by good folk, honest folk, blokes in NCB jackets buzzing about what they had just seen on the pitch. There should be a word for it, maybe one day I'll invent one.
Fast forward a few years, after the Prem dream it went downhill. But a man called Patrick Cryne emerged from the darkness and rebuilt my - our - dream. I can clearly remember (but can't find) some message he wrote or emailed BEFORE he took over. I paraphrase, but he mentioned his dream of seeing essentially 11 players with an allegiance to the area, playing good honest football, trying to entertain a good local crowd without being ruined by money.The antithesis of what football has become.

And I now realise that from 2015 to current times he pretty much gave us that. Going to Oakwell with my lads, especially THAT season, was as close as I got to both Patrick's dream and to my memories of those halcyon early 80's days. The drive to Barnsley, parking up and time with good folks in the Dove or in Redfearns followed by good honest football provided by a good honest manager was a renewed experience; something that I hope my lads remember in the same way I had done.

I no longer live in the town, but have loved following them from over here. Being a Barnsley fan in the face of the Premier. Patrick and Hecky's era made me love football again. Proper honest football.
If he goes, I'll find it hard to wish him well. Especially to a club I grew up hating. Part of me doesn't blame him. He's trying to better himself, like I am constantly trying to do. But he's a fan, like me, or so I thought. I don't want it to end. Even without Patrick at the helm, I DO NOT WANT IT TO END.
Results aren't that good, performances have dipped. But the last three years have been as close to experiencing the 'terroir' I'll possibly ever know.

Scribbled in a sulk, apologies for any rambling or typos
How do you think he will do at elland rd? leeds fans not happy, il wait and see,
Old 06-02-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Hecky to Leeds. Upsetting, and hard to put into words what I am feeling but I'll have a go.

My favourite time bar none was watching the Clark team evolve into the Hunter team and spent most of my teens watching not only the best football at Oakwell but the very best of times. The French have a word - terroir - for everything that is good about wine; the soil, the grape, the temperature, the cellar; the culmination of all that makes the perfect wine. I'd like to think there was a similar word to describe the experience at Oakwell in the early 80's. For me it was Norman Hunter, 11 players and a sub, massive crowds, passionate crowds, the smell of bovril, pies and tobacco, the smell of chimney smoke walking towards the ground, the club shop, my beloved corner of the Ponty, the walk back to the bus station surrounded by good folk, honest folk, blokes in NCB jackets buzzing about what they had just seen on the pitch. There should be a word for it, maybe one day I'll invent one.
Fast forward a few years, after the Prem dream it went downhill. But a man called Patrick Cryne emerged from the darkness and rebuilt my - our - dream. I can clearly remember (but can't find) some message he wrote or emailed BEFORE he took over. I paraphrase, but he mentioned his dream of seeing essentially 11 players with an allegiance to the area, playing good honest football, trying to entertain a good local crowd without being ruined by money.The antithesis of what football has become.

And I now realise that from 2015 to current times he pretty much gave us that. Going to Oakwell with my lads, especially THAT season, was as close as I got to both Patrick's dream and to my memories of those halcyon early 80's days. The drive to Barnsley, parking up and time with good folks in the Dove or in Redfearns followed by good honest football provided by a good honest manager was a renewed experience; something that I hope my lads remember in the same way I had done.

I no longer live in the town, but have loved following them from over here. Being a Barnsley fan in the face of the Premier. Patrick and Hecky's era made me love football again. Proper honest football.
If he goes, I'll find it hard to wish him well. Especially to a club I grew up hating. Part of me doesn't blame him. He's trying to better himself, like I am constantly trying to do. But he's a fan, like me, or so I thought. I don't want it to end. Even without Patrick at the helm, I DO NOT WANT IT TO END.
Results aren't that good, performances have dipped. But the last three years have been as close to experiencing the 'terroir' I'll possibly ever know.

Scribbled in a sulk, apologies for any rambling or typos

PARKLIFE!

Nah, great post though.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
How do you think he will do at elland rd? leeds fans not happy, il wait and see,
He is an excellent coach - was our academy coach that brought through John Stones and Mason Holgate. Also brought the best out of Alfie Mawson and Conor Hourihane. So if given time he will bring the best out of players.

However he has gone to Leeds to be the manager (head coach with us) and your lot have little patience. So to paraphrase a tweet I saw:

"Paul Heckingbottom appointed Leeds manager until 2019. Confirmation sought as to is this the year or the time ?"
Old 06-02-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
He is an excellent coach - was our academy coach that brought through John Stones and Mason Holgate. Also brought the best out of Alfie Mawson and Conor Hourihane. So if given time he will bring the best out of players.

However he has gone to Leeds to be the manager (head coach with us) and your lot have little patience. So to paraphrase a tweet I saw:

"Paul Heckingbottom appointed Leeds manager until 2019. Confirmation sought as to is this the year or the time ?"
Our problem is we have a director of football Victor Orta who calls all the shots re transfers etc, i loled at last line,
Old 06-02-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy L View Post
No surprise villa are flying since Whelans been benched.
spot on Tommy , i can't believe steve bruce persisted with him for so long , and on that subject

RIP steve bruce's dad who passed away this morning , only a week after his mom fell ill shortly before Villa's match against sheff utd last week , she remains in hospital
Old 07-02-2018, 12:46 AM

Fine post, Tyketastic. Some lovely memories there of football as a match-day experience before it became the santitised version you see today, at least in the Premier League.

I'm cautiously upbeat on Heckingbottom's appointment. I'm glad we have handed the reins to a young English coach, and a Yorkshire lad at that. Albeit South Yorkshire and not West Yorkshire, the greatest part of God's own county.

In Christiansen, the cheap foreign import option at Leeds didn't work. I hope we will have more success with someone who knows and understands Championship football, and a has a track record of developing players.

It has probably come too late for this season, but nevertheless the hope is that he hits the ground running. There is nothing easy with Sheff United, Bristol City and Derby up next, but a couple of wins there and the crowd will get right behind him. Just to finish strong will offer hope for next year at least.

Good luck to your lot for the rest of the season.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:03 AM

Location: Sitting in my underpants eating Meanies watching Jerry Springer repeats

Just had a look at Sunderland's squad. They're in an awful state.

They've no strikers.

Chris Coleman, despite doing well with the Welsh he hasn't a great club record.

I think some guy on here had them at 10/1 to go down this season.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Billy Davies View Post
Just had a look at Sunderland's squad. They're in an awful state.

They've no strikers.

Chris Coleman, despite doing well with the Welsh he hasn't a great club record.

I think some guy on here had them at 10/1 to go down this season.
It think they are nailed on to go down, what possessed grayson and then coleman to go there? ego?
Old 10-02-2018, 08:38 AM

Location: Sitting in my underpants eating Meanies watching Jerry Springer repeats
Exclamation

I don't think we're safe yet. I want to beat Hull today to ease the pressure.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:43 AM

Day one for heckingbottom, with suspensions and injuries he really cant be judged on next couple of games, but football fans are not known for
patience,