Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 05-02-2018, 11:43 AM

Interesting view that Ard Scoil have 8 county minors V Midleton's 4 Cork minors makes Ard Scoil hot favourites!

I have two views on that (1) Ard Scoil had all these county minors last year and Midleton still beat them (2) Cork minor team was far superior to both the Clare ( we saw what the cork minors did to them in the Munster Final) and Limerick minors last year.

How many of those 8 minors would have made the Cork team last year? Obviously Ryan would have and I think Paul O Brien would have pushed for a spot on the forward line last year, none of the other 6 would have started, Boylan and Woulfe would have possibly been in the 24.

Based on the last three games that the two schools have played in the Harty last year and this year, there is very little between the teams and which should result in a cracking match.

Ard Scoil have an excellent record in finals so that could be a factor.

Hopefully Midleton do the business which would be another boost for Cork Hurling.

QUOTE=Monkman;617964 9]Seriously i dont know how people can see midleton cbs beating them
Ard scoil ris in my opinion are hot favourites
How can any team compare with 8 county minors? With midleton only having 4
Although i hope midleton win its ard scoils to lose

What i will say is that these are the two best teams in the harty cup this yr and midleton will be the closest team to them
I was talking to a colmans lad who playing against cbc in quarter final and he told me that they full on bottled that game even tho i heard cbc were full deserved for their win over colmans

When i went to see the midleton/ard scoil group game, ard scoil were able to win that game with 2 or 3 of their county minors not performing at all but since that game midleton have had 11 changes positional changes to their team and ard scoil with 2 positional changes

Ard scoil have also 3 players that have started and won a harty cup 2 yrs ago
They have players that have been their before[/QUOTE]
Old 05-02-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkrebel1970 View Post
Interesting view that Ard Scoil have 8 county minors V Midleton's 4 Cork minors makes Ard Scoil hot favourites!

I have two views on that (1) Ard Scoil had all these county minors last year and Midleton still beat them (2) Cork minor team was far superior to both the Clare ( we saw what the cork minors did to them in the Munster Final) and Limerick minors last year.

How many of those 8 minors would have made the Cork team last year? Obviously Ryan would have and I think Paul O Brien would have pushed for a spot on the forward line last year, none of the other 6 would have started, Boylan and Woulfe would have possibly been in the 24.

Based on the last three games that the two schools have played in the Harty last year and this year, there is very little between the teams and which should result in a cracking match.

Hopefully Midleton do the business which would be another boost for Cork Hurling.

QUOTE=Monkman;617964 9]Seriously i dont know how people can see midleton cbs beating them

What i will say is that these are the two best teams in the harty cup this yr and midleton will be the closest team to them
I was talking to a colmans lad who playing against cbc in quarter final and he told me that they full on bottled that game even tho i heard cbc were full deserved for their win over colmans

When i went to see the midleton/ard scoil group game, ard scoil were able to win that game with 2 or 3 of their county minors not performing at all but since that game midleton have had 11 changes positional changes to their team and ard scoil with 2 positional changes

They have players that have been their before
[/QUOTE]

Rory Duff Ronan Connolly and Jerome Boylan would all have started on that Cork Minor team along with Paudie O' Brien and Diarmuid ryan.
Boylan woulfe Connolly and paudie o Brien all played in the 2016 minor all Ireland Final for Limerick.
stop talking rubbish. Ardscoil are deserving favourites. Midleton have a good chance. it'll be interesting. Midleton do have fine hurlers. Can they handle the expectation will be the question. Ardscoil have won finals recently. if they lose 1 it won't be the end of the world. it could set Midleton years back if they don't win. next year's team is only fair.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:45 PM

Rory Duff Ronan Connolly and Jerome Boylan would all have started on that Cork Minor team along with Paudie O' Brien and Diarmuid ryan.
Boylan woulfe Connolly and paudie o Brien all played in the 2016 minor all Ireland Final for Limerick.
stop talking rubbish. Ardscoil are deserving favourites. Midleton have a good chance. it'll be interesting. Midleton do have fine hurlers. Can they handle the expectation will be the question. Ardscoil have won finals recently. if they lose 1 it won't be the end of the world. it could set Midleton years back if they don't win. next year's team is only fair.[/QUOTE]

I dont know how it could set midleton back years if they lose to a clearly more favourites ard scoil with twice the amount of intercounty minors to midleton ? A loss is a loss.

Like when i went to see st colmans play dean ryan to this exact same ard scoil outfit 2 yrs ago, colmans were ahnilated by ard scoil 4-17 to 1-3 and then they went from being very poor to average and reaching a quater final of a harty
That didnt set them back a whole pile they went on and improved
Or are you suggesting that st colmans losing by 17pts in the harty final last yr set them back this yr ? Just curious

All the pressure should be on ard scoil to come and deliver on the big day
The pressure is always on the favourites
If midleton lose by 2 points id be happy
Anything less would be dissapointing
After all these are the two best teams meeting at the final stage this yr
Old 05-02-2018, 09:35 PM

Harty, you obviously have a very high opinion of both the Limerick and Clare minor hurling teams of the last two years, personally I don't.

That is the point that I was making, just because Ard Scoil have twice the number of county minors that Midleton have, does not make them hot favourites.

Last January Midleton beat Ard Scoil in a replay, an Ard Scoil team that had the following County Minors: R Connolly, J Boylan, D Carroll, B Ryan, P O' Brien, R Duff, D Woulfe, R Considine, J Considine, that is 9 county minors and they still could not beat Midleton, who had only 1 starting county minor from 2016, O' Leary Hayes. Walsh Barry, O ' Shea and Millerick played in 2017. So Harty, if these Limerick & Clare Minors are so good, how did Midleto n beat them??

Harty I would be very interested to know who you would have Rory Duff, Ronan Connolly and Jerome Boylan starting ahead of on the Cork Minor team of 2017.

Diarmuid Ryan would be in for Walsh Barry, I would play O' Brien ahead of Linehan, the other 3 Limerick players would not make the Cork 15.

Come on Harty, 5 forward left on the minor team: Turnbull, Downey, Sheehan, Hanafin and O' Shea, are you telling me that Connolly is better than one of those 5 forwards?

Are you telling me that Rory Duff would have dislodged Connery, Roche or Millerick from the Cork Midfield? Roche and Connery won Minor All Stars and Millerick was man of the match in the County Senior Final and did not give Paddy Caddell a puck in the replay V Tipp.

At the end of the day Harty I do not feel I am talking rubbish, just giving my opinion. Don't forget that Tipp beat Limerick by 17pts in the munster minor hurling final of 2016!

The final is going to be tight, Ard Scoil are well drilled outfit, saw them V CBC in the semi final, so regardless of many county minors they have, I still think in my opinion Midleton have a great chance.

Harty, there is always hype around Cork teams in the final, loads of hype about St Colmans last year, and they ended up being beaten by 19 points.

Agree with Monkman, a defeat would not set Midleton back years.

stop talking rubbish. Ardscoil are deserving favourites. Midleton have a good chance. it'll be interesting. Midleton do have fine hurlers. Can they handle the expectation will be the question. Ardscoil have won finals recently. if they lose 1 it won't be the end of the world. it could set Midleton years back if they don't win. next year's team is only fair.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-02-2018, 11:33 PM
PROC Member

Lads - I don't know how many of ye were at the Christians v ASR game. ASR are being talked up a lot now but the reality is Christians could have and possibly should have beaten them so all these IC minors are not necessarily better hurlers than what Christians had and Christians only had two outfield Cork minors in Downey and Hanlon plus Daly from Waterford. I think a bit of naievity plus 3 or 4 really dodgy calls in the last 5 mins from a Clare ref living in Limerick cost Christians a famous victory but even if Christians had gone through I would still class Midleton as favourites for the final.

I have said it many times before - even though Denis Ring won Munster with the Cork minors ( hammered Clare ) and made the AI final I still think there were a bunch of lads as good as if not better than a number of his team/panel so the 2017 batch was the best batch of minor hurlers available to is for years and I fully expect Midleton to prove this on Feb 17th.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:55 PM

Limerick minors 2016 lost the all Ireland Final by 7 points. they closed the gap from the munster loss. Connolly was corner back Boylan midfield and paudie o Brien and woulfe came on as subs. those named above would have 2 years on 5 or 6 of the cork minor side of last year. hanifin would have lost out and Connolly kept Downey quite when on him. considene fullback held his own against Daly and Downey inside for the amount of 1 on 1 that he was under.
Connolly would have replaced 5 of the 6 backs cork minors had. Boylan would have easily slotted in wingback. diarmuid Ryan midfield and paudie o Brien in forwards.

I'd like to see Midleton win for a cork point of view. it'll be very tough against a team that doesn't lose Harty finals.
in terms of setting a side back yes it could take colmans and Midleton years again before they could win a Harty after a loss.
Dean Ryan success doesn't guarantee future success. CBC lack the calibre of player next year to build on this campaign. the Dean Ryan and u16 teams were poor looking on results. Daly Hanlon Finn power o Donovan and barret won't alone win a Harty. the school has claimed it will be producing within from now on. the lack 5 or6 top hurlers to make next year's team competitive.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:58 AM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartyCupAbu View Post
Limerick minors 2016 lost the all Ireland Final by 7 points. they closed the gap from the munster loss. Connolly was corner back Boylan midfield and paudie o Brien and woulfe came on as subs. those named above would have 2 years on 5 or 6 of the cork minor side of last year. hanifin would have lost out and Connolly kept Downey quite when on him. considene fullback held his own against Daly and Downey inside for the amount of 1 on 1 that he was under.
Connolly would have replaced 5 of the 6 backs cork minors had. Boylan would have easily slotted in wingback. diarmuid Ryan midfield and paudie o Brien in forwards.

I'd like to see Midleton win for a cork point of view. it'll be very tough against a team that doesn't lose Harty finals.
in terms of setting a side back yes it could take colmans and Midleton years again before they could win a Harty after a loss.
Dean Ryan success doesn't guarantee future success. CBC lack the calibre of player next year to build on this campaign. the Dean Ryan and u16 teams were poor looking on results. Daly Hanlon Finn power o Donovan and barret won't alone win a Harty. the school has claimed it will be producing within from now on. the lack 5 or6 top hurlers to make next year's team competitive.
Hard to judge fellas in completely different games and decide who were the better players but I still think Midleton are a slightly better team than Christians and Christians could have beaten ASR with a small bit of luck. I fear though that you could be right about Christians next year Harty - they will lose a lot of key players and will face a right battle to be able to stay competitive though there were a few good young lads on the bench like Mulcahy, Murphy brothers, Niall Hartnett, young Daly etc. The likes of Downey, O Connell, Hartnett, O Flynn, Cronin are all big losses as they are experienced players and they have been involved for 3 years now - you can't replace that type of experience very easily
Old 13-02-2018, 09:35 AM
PROC Member

Any word on Midleton camp ahead of Harty final lads - hope they have no injuries - what about O Regan ? Still out ?

Weather likely to make this game a lottery - shame
Old 13-02-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkrebel1970 View Post

They have players that have been their before
[/QUOTE]

Considering cork had to bring out the full forward to contest puck outs a lot of the time Boylan would probably have made that minor team
Diarmuid Ryan would certainly have and no minor manager would leave out a player as accurate as O brien
Old 14-02-2018, 08:10 PM

Considering cork had to bring out the full forward to contest puck outs a lot of the time Boylan would probably have made that minor team
Diarmuid Ryan would certainly have and no minor manager would leave out a player as accurate as O brien[/QUOTE]

Ryan, Connolly Boylan and o Brien walk on to the cork minor team. connolly o brien and boylan are 2 year limerock minors and played in the 2016 all Ireland Final. diarmuid Ryan doesn't need mentioning. this game will be close. both teams have very strong teams. Midleton have a stronger fullback line in terms of corner backs I feel. if gosnell and hickey or Arthur can take the game to the 2 corner backs Midleton will win. millerick and Ryan midfield will be a real battle. do you hold o Leary Hayes centre back to pick up o Brien or to midfield to mark duff? that is a hard call.