Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 03-01-2018, 06:28 PM
Senior PROC Member

John Fitzgibbon for the Glen in 89. Gave an exhibition and got MOTM.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
John Fitzgibbon for the Glen in 89. Gave an exhibition and got MOTM.
Come on soundy surely theres a few Glen players down through the years who were great club players , especially the players who didnt play for Cork or were unlucky to have
Old 03-01-2018, 07:43 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiceasnice97 View Post
Are you off your head.
Shefflin is arguably the greatest player ever to play the game.
Corcoran isn't in the top Ten Cork players of the last 40 years let alone better than Shefflin .
he is a player that is totally overrated by the cork support.
In the 90s It always looked like clare targeted him by having the left half forward abandon his man and force him to strike off his left which was weak
he was solid in a good team
looked good in a poor team and utterly peripheral when he came back medal chasing in the 2000s.
He had a massive season as a 19 year old and the impact of that stayed with cork supporters through his career.

Cork would have won what they won without him from 03 on in my view.
Twice - you generally appear to know what you are talking about but I'm afraid in this instance you are talking total bollox. Name another IC hurler in any generation who has excelled at the top level as a corner back, a dominating centre back and after taking a few years out of the game to then come back and win two AI medals and an Allstar as a full forward. This man is an absolute legend of the game so please dont come on a Cork GAA forum and belittle him. And for good measure he also played IC football at the top level. Show a small bit of respect man.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
looked good in a poor team and utterly peripheral when he came back medal chasing in the 2000s.

Ask Noel Hickey how utterly peripheral Corcoran was in the 2004 All Ireland Final, when Hickey was moved off him into the corner after getting beat up a stick.

Cork wouldn't have beaten Waterford in 2005 without Corcoran. On a day when the other Cork forwards struggled, Brian took over that particular game near the end. His experience was key in tight games like that.

Clare yahoos in the stands remember fondly the moment Corcoran was taken off in the All Ireland Semi-Final that year. Four weeks later, he was dissecting the posts against Galway in another All Ireland Final.

If Corcoran was 'solid' as a hurler, then Clare have been solid in the history of hurling for 98 years. Both won three All Irelands. Corcoran has more football medals than Clare though. The joys of been a 'medal chaser' and multi-talented.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shez1987 View Post
Ask Noel Hickey how utterly peripheral Corcoran was in the 2004 All Ireland Final, when Hickey was moved off him into the corner after getting beat up a stick.

Cork wouldn't have beaten Waterford in 2005 without Corcoran. On a day when the other Cork forwards struggled, Brian took over that particular game near the end. His experience was key in tight games like that.

Clare yahoos in the stands remember fondly the moment Corcoran was taken off in the All Ireland Semi-Final that year. Four weeks later, he was dissecting the posts against Galway in another All Ireland Final.

If Corcoran was 'solid' as a hurler, then Clare have been solid in the history of hurling for 98 years. Both won three All Irelands. Corcoran has more football medals than Clare though. The joys of been a 'medal chaser' and multi-talented.

you are entitled to your opinion.
I am of the view that shefflin was one of the greatest if not the greatest players ever to hurl
Corcoran isn't among the ten best to hurl for cork in my lifetime so to be comparing the two and coming down in faviour of Corcoran is utterly ridiculous
Old 03-01-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I am of the view that shefflin was one of the greatest if not the greatest players ever to hurl
Corcoran isn't among the ten best to hurl for cork in my lifetime so to be comparing the two and coming down in faviour of Corcoran is utterly ridiculous
Obviously, everyone is entitled to an opinion. That is why forums exist. I never mentioned Shefflin. He was a better hurler than Corcoran, but not by much.

Opinion 1 - 'Corcoran isn't amongst the top ten hurlers Cork have produced in the last 40 years'. Fair enough, if that is what you believe. I can respect that, which is why I didn't quote that bit in my post. Or the Shefflin bit.

Opinion 2 - 'Corcorcan was utterly peripheral when he returned in the 2000s'. To anyone who saw the games against Kilkenny, Waterford and Galway during this time, this is a minority view unlikely to be shared by credible or reasonable hurling observers. Peripheral players do not dominate All Ireland Finals, but you are still entitled to that opinion.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I have to ask TAN, who are your top 10 Cork players in that case?
Old 03-01-2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightHalfBack View Post
Twice - you generally appear to know what you are talking about but I'm afraid in this instance you are talking total bollox. Name another IC hurler in any generation who has excelled at the top level as a corner back, a dominating centre back and after taking a few years out of the game to then come back and win two AI medals and an Allstar as a full forward. This man is an absolute legend of the game so please dont come on a Cork GAA forum and belittle him. And for good measure he also played IC football at the top level. Show a small bit of respect man.
Tommy Walsh has excelled in more positions than any other hurler. 9 all stars in various lines of the field. To me he’s been the most versatile of all hurlers
Old 04-01-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Are you off your head.
Shefflin is arguably the greatest player ever to play the game.
Corcoran isn't in the top Ten Cork players of the last 40 years let alone better than Shefflin .
he is a player that is totally overrated by the cork support.
In the 90s It always looked like clare targeted him by having the left half forward abandon his man and force him to strike off his left which was weak
He had a massive season as a 19 year old and the impact of that stayed with cork supporters through his career.

Lol.. the same Corcoran with all stars from 3 different positions?

Yeah.. there was definitely 10 better than him in cork alone
Old 04-01-2018, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallant1 View Post
Come on soundy surely theres a few Glen players down through the years who were great club players , especially the players who didnt play for Cork or were unlucky to have
Patsy harte fits this bill