Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 03-01-2018, 08:18 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawhosmeda View Post
You can add Colm O Gorman to that list, he claims because of the moral superiority of his stance he is above the law in regards to the sourcing the funding for the Pro Choice side.
Heard O'Gorman on Prendepantz one morning about Ibrahim, pure tosser that loves the sound of his own voice.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:54 AM

By chance in the past few weeks i have spoken to to integrated women resident in the ROI who have abortion stories to tell.

Both are mid 30s and not some young wans pregnant after a drunken night out.

Stories are interesting given the differences to their backgrounds

First lady is asian and became pregnant after a contraception fail. Opted for abortion after a few weeks as she already has kids and didnt want another one.if she wasnt busy at work etc then she might have kept it. Very matter of fact about the whole thing.abortion didnt seem to have a stigma from her cultural background. Lady has only basic education but is extremely hard working.

2nd lady comes from a latin background with strong catholic heritage. College educated with medical qualification.was in relationship and got pregnant but relationship broke down. Though about abortion but religous upbringing prevented her.now has toddler and regrets having the child and isca single parent and out of work and cant seem to get her life back.on track.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:27 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by an liathroid beag View Post
What is Kellehers agenda? He once claimed to be pro life and as suggested put his finger in the air and decided that there were votes in abortion and jumped on the abortion band wagon with his abortion on demand proposal. It will be interesting what will happen in the FF camp as the Delegates to their Ard Feis voted 2 to 1 in favour of retaining the 8th. Kelleher was the sole FF candidate in NC last time, there will be two next time and I suspect there will be the ultimate exercise in cynicism with Kelleher trying to collect the abortion vote and his running partner trying to collect the pro life vote
Hadn't realized there was such an overwhelming vote in FF to retain the 8th. Still FF have a tradition of having revotes until the "right" result is achieved.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicGrinder View Post
Still no link to his proposal eh?
You are full of shi8e m8 and I will continue to pull you and others on misrepresentation of facts on either side regardless of what you perceive my stance to be. The simply fact which you have can't seem grasp is that any info/facts that have been pulled here comes from the pro life brigade. You link me to to any lies posted here by any other group other than pro life and that shall be dealt with as well. Pro life are the only ones attacking people here because of their choice, I didn't see any threads here attacking Mattie McGrath, Ronan Mullen funny that eh? Tells you what you need to know really.
TG, even if you'd like to think yourself as neutral, or at the very least coming across as neutral in this, I think from your posts it's rather obvious which side of this issue you're coming down on - and your one eyed denigration of one side reinforces that perception.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:35 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
A great Music Venue no doubt, but it's gone, get over it. I have never seen anyone advocate Abortion as if it was an intrinsically good thing. Ditto Turning off Life Support Machines when there is no hope and the continuation is destroying the living familys' lives.
Some things are not intrinsically good, but are by far the best of the bad choices available. Chemotherapy, Lung Transplants. 'They' seem to be guilty of everything bad in the world. I think any debate would benefit from naming sources directly. That way 'they' can respond to any lies about 'them'. There are separate English words to describe the various stages of human life being formed. Baby is ultimate one, the finished product. There are many more which have fallen out of use, which is a pity. People seem to have always known that Life does not begin with Lust, but some time between that and physical Birth. https://embryo.asu.edu/pages/roman-c...rch-quickening

X
Some good points there methinks.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Again you don't grasp the fact that the abortion was the choice of the person having it. Why would I show empathy for the findings of a 10 year old report that highlights the fact medical cock ups enabled survival for a few hours after. The decision had been legally made by the person have the abortion. The report has zero relevance to any present 8th amendment debate.
Link to me being an apologist? You are doing the pro life campaign absolutely no good with your lies but I am sure you are well aware of that already.
A report on the likely viability of foetus after various periods of gestation has "zero relevance to any present 8th amendment debate"????????

Oh dear TG - you just can't help yourself.

I happen to think the viability of a foetus is VERY relevant to the debate on the likely introduction of abortion. Personally I would be very much against full term abortions which happen in some jurisdictions. And just as medicine for aborting a foetus will have moved on in the intervening 10 years since the report, so will the medicine for improving the survival prospects of a foetus.

As I say, I'm currently of a mind to vote for abortion in certain circumstances up to 12 weeks but I'm hoping for as much info as possible in this debate to convince me one way or the other and I certainly wouldn't be as closed minded as to dismiss foetus survival figures just because they're from 10 years ago when both pro and con medicine may have moved on since.

Can you provide links to more modern surveys that completely disprove or render useless this 10 year old report in modern context TG?
Old 04-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Pointing out lies or questioning information posted is normal for a debate regardless of what side of the debate you sit on be it neutral or otherwise. Do you think people will just sit here and read your misinformation and take it as fact? More fool you m8.
You showed your true colours yesterday taking our little spat here on to another a thread, something I had always assumed would be beneath you but fair enough I understand that you succumbed to your anger at been shown up as a spoofer here
Whoa there little hossy! TG are you seriously going to try to claim that you've never moved with spats from one thread over to another? Seriously?

Old 04-01-2018, 04:38 PM
Senior PROC Member

Amnesty International has said it will not obey an instruction by the State’s ethics watchdog to return a donation from billionaire George Soros to fund its campaign to overturn Ireland’s abortion ban.

The Standards in Public Office commission (SIPO) has instructed Amnesty International to return a €137,000 donation from the Soros-funded Open Society Foundation.

Refusing to obey, Amnesty’s chief executive, Colm O’Gorman, told The Irish Times: “We’re being asked to comply with a law that violates human rights, and we can’t do that.”

It got the money for its My Body My Rights campaign, which advocates the repeal of the Eighth Amendment and the introduction of laws providing for abortion in Ireland.

However, SIPO said the donation breached Ireland’s Ireland’s campaign finance laws, which prohibit foreign donors making donations to groups involved in elections, or referendums here.

Last night, a spokesman for the commission declined to comment on the Amnesty case, but said SIPO’s role was to enforce the legislation. Under the legislation, a sentence of up to three years can be imposed.

‘Dangerous precedent’
Saying that it is taking legal advice on its options now, Amnesty said the Soros grant accounts for nearly 2.5 per cent of its total annual income, but returning it would set “a dangerous precedent”.

Mr O’Gorman pointed out that Irish Aid, the Government’s development aid arm, regularly funds campaigns run by civil society organisations in many countries around the world.

The Electoral Act’s rules are “seriously impacting” on a growing number of other organisations, and could have a severe chilling effect on civil society in Ireland, it said

O Gorman is apparently above the law when he preaches down to us from his moral high ground
Old 04-01-2018, 04:50 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by an liathroid beag View Post
Amnesty International has said it will not obey an instruction by the State’s ethics watchdog to return a donation from billionaire George Soros to fund its campaign to overturn Ireland’s abortion ban.

The Standards in Public Office commission (SIPO) has instructed Amnesty International to return a €137,000 donation from the Soros-funded Open Society Foundation.

Refusing to obey, Amnesty’s chief executive, Colm O’Gorman, told The Irish Times: “We’re being asked to comply with a law that violates human rights, and we can’t do that.”

It got the money for its My Body My Rights campaign, which advocates the repeal of the Eighth Amendment and the introduction of laws providing for abortion in Ireland.

However, SIPO said the donation breached Ireland’s Ireland’s campaign finance laws, which prohibit foreign donors making donations to groups involved in elections, or referendums here.

Last night, a spokesman for the commission declined to comment on the Amnesty case, but said SIPO’s role was to enforce the legislation. Under the legislation, a sentence of up to three years can be imposed.

‘Dangerous precedent’
Saying that it is taking legal advice on its options now, Amnesty said the Soros grant accounts for nearly 2.5 per cent of its total annual income, but returning it would set “a dangerous precedent”.

Mr O’Gorman pointed out that Irish Aid, the Government’s development aid arm, regularly funds campaigns run by civil society organisations in many countries around the world.

The Electoral Act’s rules are “seriously impacting” on a growing number of other organisations, and could have a severe chilling effect on civil society in Ireland, it said

O Gorman is apparently above the law when he preaches down to us from his moral high ground
O'Gorman's claim that the abortion ban "violates human rights" is a complete diversion - it's whether or not the donation he's being asked to return violates the laws of this land is at issue. And it does.

Irrespective of what one's feeling on the Repeal the 8th debate is, O'Gorman seems to want to just hang on to the donation and the "violation" of human rights is a smokescreen he's trying to use.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:09 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
TG, even if you'd like to think yourself as neutral, or at the very least coming across as neutral in this, I think from your posts it's rather obvious which side of this issue you're coming down on - and your one eyed denigration of one side reinforces that perception.
Show me posts here from the other side of the debate I will denigrate them as well. But wait there is no one from the other side of the debate posting lies or untruths or ten year old surveys with no timeline