Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 01-01-2018, 09:42 PM

As forwards go in cork I remember Dean, Browne and Murray dominating 90's and 00's club hurling.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:06 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
Tomás is right.
KK strolled out of Leinster into AI semis in a county playing nothing else before the back door. A lot of his intercounty medals were as part of a team with some incredible hurlers.

DJ Carey, Eddie Brennan even Tommy Timber were as good.

To be clear he is an exceptional hurler. Tomás's point was about the hype around him.
Hype for which is very very much warranted.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
This is a wind up i'd reckon?You never got the hype about Shefflin pmsl.
10 All Ireland winners medals
6 League titles
13 Leinster titles
11 All Stars
Hurler of the year X3 times
Thats at inter county so you could say he got lucky with a group of good players around him.But at club level he also won
6 County titles
4 Leinster titles
3 All Irelands.
Also at college he won 2 Fitzgibbon cup winners medals.
In 71 championship appearances he scored 27 goals and 484 points.....You must be on the 'whacky backy'to say you never got the hype about him.Without doubt one of the best if not the best EVER!
Have to go with Judge on this. That's some hall of medals with even his Club.
Corcoran is my favourite Cork hurler of all time but my favourite players / player club wise because they came from the same gene is Ben and Jerry O Connor. They took a village to a new level and whilst Ben was a class fwd I never seen a midfielder to cover the ground Jerry did.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarrog View Post
Have to go with Judge on this. That's some hall of medals with even his Club.
Corcoran is my favourite Cork hurler of all time but my favourite players / player club wise because they came from the same gene is Ben and Jerry O Connor. They took a village to a new level and whilst Ben was a class fwd I never seen a midfielder to cover the ground Jerry did.
+1 regarding the O Connor's.

Corcoran's display in '92 is my earliest memory of being blown away by performance, considering I was supporting the opposition that day it's always stuck with me.

Outside of Cork, I'd say Liam Watson of Loughgiel would deserve a look in, an unreal club hurler.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
Tomás is right.
KK strolled out of Leinster into AI semis in a county playing nothing else before the back door. A lot of his intercounty medals were as part of a team with some incredible hurlers.

DJ Carey, Eddie Brennan even Tommy Timber were as good.

To be clear he is an exceptional hurler. Tomás's point was about the hype around him.
I don't think he was over hyped. To understand how good he was you have to look at the role Cody assigned him (and every other KK forward). Basically they had to be able to defend as well, therefore he expended a bucket load of energy tracking back whilst at the same time racking up huge scores.

A similar example would be Joe Canning whose role for years with Galway was to just hold his position and act as the scorer in chief, whereas now he is asked to play more of a team role and cover more ground and his scoring has dropped off dramatically, that never happened with Shefflin, which proves how great he really was, comparing him to DJ, Joe Deane, JBM (I realise you haven't mentioned these players) or whoever is redundant because those players were able to conserve their energy by basically doing jackshit until the ball came in, whereas with Shefflin it is conceivable he could have been equally as explosive if he played the same role, and his already phenomenal scoring rate would be off the charts.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMÁS View Post
Agreed! Was there just to see him play, to be honest, and what a performance.

Never got the hype about Sheflin - he was consistently good in a great team - only ever saw him dominate a match - in fact a half of a match - Galway drawn game 2012.

But Brian Corcoran dominated so many, and he played and won all-stars in three different positions. Best club hurler I have seen - easily.
Best hurler - possibly too.

Are you off your head.
Shefflin is arguably the greatest player ever to play the game.
Corcoran isn't in the top Ten Cork players of the last 40 years let alone better than Shefflin .
he is a player that is totally overrated by the cork support.
In the 90s It always looked like clare targeted him by having the left half forward abandon his man and force him to strike off his left which was weak
he was solid in a good team
looked good in a poor team and utterly peripheral when he came back medal chasing in the 2000s.
He had a massive season as a 19 year old and the impact of that stayed with cork supporters through his career.

Cork would have won what they won without him from 03 on in my view.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiceasnice97 View Post
Are you off your head.
Corcoran isn't in the top Ten Cork players of the last 40 years let alone better than Shefflin .
In the 90s It always looked like clare targeted him by having the left half forward abandon his man and force him to strike off his left which was weak
looked good in a poor team and utterly peripheral when he came back medal chasing in the 2000s.
He had a massive season as a 19 year old and the impact of that stayed with cork supporters through his career.

I stopped reading there to be honest.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:00 PM
dan ball

Some crazy words associated with Corcoran there TaN97.

Peripheral when he came back? What about the semi final to actually get us to the final in 2004. The points off Noel Hickey in the final. One being an exceptional point.

Could never describe Brian Corcoran as "solid".

Struggle to think of a player who dominated a championship as much as he did in 1999.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiceasnice97 View Post
Are you off your head.

There is help available, tan.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:20 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelred View Post
I stopped reading there to be honest.
Me too and I usually like his posts but that was just off the wall.