Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-01-2018, 09:42 PM
longbigandjuicy longbigandjuicy is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,549
Default

As forwards go in cork I remember Dean, Browne and Murray dominating 90's and 00's club hurling.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-01-2018, 10:06 PM
The Judge The Judge is offline
PROC Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
Tomás is right.
KK strolled out of Leinster into AI semis in a county playing nothing else before the back door. A lot of his intercounty medals were as part of a team with some incredible hurlers.



DJ Carey, Eddie Brennan even Tommy Timber were as good.

To be clear he is an exceptional hurler. Tomás's point was about the hype around him.
Hype for which is very very much warranted.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-01-2018, 10:08 PM
finbarrog finbarrog is offline
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
This is a wind up i'd reckon?You never got the hype about Shefflin pmsl.
10 All Ireland winners medals
6 League titles
13 Leinster titles
11 All Stars
Hurler of the year X3 times
Thats at inter county so you could say he got lucky with a group of good players around him.But at club level he also won
6 County titles
4 Leinster titles
3 All Irelands.
Also at college he won 2 Fitzgibbon cup winners medals.
In 71 championship appearances he scored 27 goals and 484 points.....You must be on the 'whacky backy'to say you never got the hype about him.Without doubt one of the best if not the best EVER!
Have to go with Judge on this. That's some hall of medals with even his Club.
Corcoran is my favourite Cork hurler of all time but my favourite players / player club wise because they came from the same gene is Ben and Jerry O Connor. They took a village to a new level and whilst Ben was a class fwd I never seen a midfielder to cover the ground Jerry did.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-01-2018, 11:03 PM
stevetharlear stevetharlear is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarrog View Post
Have to go with Judge on this. That's some hall of medals with even his Club.
Corcoran is my favourite Cork hurler of all time but my favourite players / player club wise because they came from the same gene is Ben and Jerry O Connor. They took a village to a new level and whilst Ben was a class fwd I never seen a midfielder to cover the ground Jerry did.
+1 regarding the O Connor's.

Corcoran's display in '92 is my earliest memory of being blown away by performance, considering I was supporting the opposition that day it's always stuck with me.

Outside of Cork, I'd say Liam Watson of Loughgiel would deserve a look in, an unreal club hurler.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-01-2018, 02:35 PM
CaptainSensible CaptainSensible is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcaigh32 View Post
Tomás is right.
KK strolled out of Leinster into AI semis in a county playing nothing else before the back door. A lot of his intercounty medals were as part of a team with some incredible hurlers.

DJ Carey, Eddie Brennan even Tommy Timber were as good.

To be clear he is an exceptional hurler. Tomás's point was about the hype around him.
I don't think he was over hyped. To understand how good he was you have to look at the role Cody assigned him (and every other KK forward). Basically they had to be able to defend as well, therefore he expended a bucket load of energy tracking back whilst at the same time racking up huge scores.

A similar example would be Joe Canning whose role for years with Galway was to just hold his position and act as the scorer in chief, whereas now he is asked to play more of a team role and cover more ground and his scoring has dropped off dramatically, that never happened with Shefflin, which proves how great he really was, comparing him to DJ, Joe Deane, JBM (I realise you haven't mentioned these players) or whoever is redundant because those players were able to conserve their energy by basically doing jackshit until the ball came in, whereas with Shefflin it is conceivable he could have been equally as explosive if he played the same role, and his already phenomenal scoring rate would be off the charts.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Twiceasnice97 Twiceasnice97 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMÁS View Post
Agreed! Was there just to see him play, to be honest, and what a performance.

Never got the hype about Sheflin - he was consistently good in a great team - only ever saw him dominate a match - in fact a half of a match - Galway drawn game 2012.

But Brian Corcoran dominated so many, and he played and won all-stars in three different positions. Best club hurler I have seen - easily.
Best hurler - possibly too.

Are you off your head.
Shefflin is arguably the greatest player ever to play the game.
Corcoran isn't in the top Ten Cork players of the last 40 years let alone better than Shefflin .
he is a player that is totally overrated by the cork support.
In the 90s It always looked like clare targeted him by having the left half forward abandon his man and force him to strike off his left which was weak
he was solid in a good team
looked good in a poor team and utterly peripheral when he came back medal chasing in the 2000s.
He had a massive season as a 19 year old and the impact of that stayed with cork supporters through his career.

Cork would have won what they won without him from 03 on in my view.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-01-2018, 05:08 PM
Rebelred Rebelred is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Corcaigh
Posts: 36,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiceasnice97 View Post
Are you off your head.
Shefflin is arguably the greatest player ever to play the game.
Corcoran isn't in the top Ten Cork players of the last 40 years let alone better than Shefflin .
he is a player that is totally overrated by the cork support.
In the 90s It always looked like clare targeted him by having the left half forward abandon his man and force him to strike off his left which was weak
he was solid in a good team
looked good in a poor team and utterly peripheral when he came back medal chasing in the 2000s.
He had a massive season as a 19 year old and the impact of that stayed with cork supporters through his career.

Cork would have won what they won without him from 03 on in my view.
I stopped reading there to be honest.
__________________
Rogby Football explained
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-01-2018, 06:00 PM
dan ball
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Some crazy words associated with Corcoran there TaN97.

Peripheral when he came back? What about the semi final to actually get us to the final in 2004. The points off Noel Hickey in the final. One being an exceptional point.

Could never describe Brian Corcoran as "solid".

Struggle to think of a player who dominated a championship as much as he did in 1999.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-01-2018, 06:14 PM
greengrass greengrass is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiceasnice97 View Post
Are you off your head.
Shefflin is arguably the greatest player ever to play the game.
Corcoran isn't in the top Ten Cork players of the last 40 years let alone better than Shefflin .
he is a player that is totally overrated by the cork support.
In the 90s It always looked like clare targeted him by having the left half forward abandon his man and force him to strike off his left which was weak
he was solid in a good team
looked good in a poor team and utterly peripheral when he came back medal chasing in the 2000s.
He had a massive season as a 19 year old and the impact of that stayed with cork supporters through his career.

Cork would have won what they won without him from 03 on in my view.
There is help available, tan.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-01-2018, 06:20 PM
TopicGrinder TopicGrinder is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 15,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelred View Post
I stopped reading there to be honest.
Me too and I usually like his posts but that was just off the wall.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.