Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Travel Forum
User Name
Password

Old 21-11-2017, 03:44 AM

Default 'Nam for 12 Days

Flying in to Hanoi, making my way down to Ho-Chi Mhin. Thinking Hoi-an / Hue / Da Nang en route.

Enlighten me. Where's worth going? What's worth seeing?

x
Old 21-11-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Flying in to Hanoi, making my way down to Ho-Chi Mhin. Thinking Hoi-an / Hue / Da Nang en route.

Enlighten me. Where's worth going? What's worth seeing?

x
12 days will be tight depending on the type of travelling youre planning to do.

If you are flying into Hanoi there are a few things you could do up north first. Halong bay ain't as great as it used to be with increased tourism but still pretty amazing on a good day. There are numerous tours you can do there ranging from quick day tours or ones that will have you spending a night on an island in the bay(probably Cat Ba?). You can organise all those tours from Hanoi. Some museums up there aswell if you are interested in the historical side of things. Enjoy the food up there especially, Hanoi boasts some seriously goof local dishes.

Sapa is another spot worth doing up north. Pretty spectacular views up there and some lovely locals. Google images should convince you. Again can be organised easily from Hanoi.

If you are eager to see the centre and south aswell then you should really fly south. A bus will take longer than you think and be prepared for some close calls on the road with a dodgy driver.

You could fly to Da Nang. Not the mosr exciting city but nice beachside city with some things to fo nearby. Hoi an is only about 45 mins from there and Hue a couple of hours. They were hit with some very very bad storms and floods recently though so check out the situation before u book that.

Nha trang is further south. Not my cup of tea and far too many idiot tourists, namely Chinese and Russians, but there are still a few things to do and some nice beaches and islands trips.

Mui ne is a quieter beach place as you get closer to Saigon. Depending on weather it can be popular for watersports. You can also do some biking around the dunes. Saigon is a more western orientated city than Hà Nội and it can still feel like two different countries in many ways. The people still pretty much hate each other. Not too much to do as a tourist though apart from a few more museums and food tours but certainly some good nightlife in Saigon.

Vung Tau is close enough to Saigon. Can get a boat down the Mekong to it in about an hour and a half. Small beach city. Quiet but can be relaxing. The mekong delta tours can be organised from Saigon if you fancy seeing that side of things and if you have time Phu Quoc island is a short flight away with some spectacular beaches(depending on the weather). Your money will probably go further than you expect it to over here but dont spend too much time travelling or youll go nuts.
Old 22-11-2017, 08:14 AM

Cheers, boss. Like the look of Sapa. Will definitely be making a trip up there.
Old 22-11-2017, 01:18 PM
Senior PROC Member

I was there 4 weeks ago, only the Southern part though.
Wonderful country, food, history and people.
Old 28-11-2017, 05:57 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Cheers, boss. Like the look of Sapa. Will definitely be making a trip up there.
Aye, Sapa is class in fairness, I'd do that with Ha long Bay, stay on Cat Bah island for a night or two, then back to hanoi and fly to Saigon m8, you won't see enough of anything if you hit too many cities.

Hit the museums too m8. The ones in Hanoi and Saigon are class.

B
Old 07-12-2017, 05:30 PM

if you like a bit of history the Reunification Palace in Saigon is well worth a visit. It's the old South Vietnam Presidential Palace and it's pretty much unaltered from the day the North Vietnamese Tank broke through the gates in 1975. 1960s & 70 decor with Old military situation maps, bakelite telephones, gifts from other countries to the South Vietnamese Presidents. Again you'd want to be into history but I loved it.
Old 15-12-2017, 10:10 AM

never get out of the boat

---------------------------------------
CMJ Print
https://www.facebook.com/Choc-A-Bloc...7028939951391/