Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 10-09-2017, 07:38 PM

Default Auto-feed photo scanner

My ould fell has crates of old photos and I'm trying to get him set up to digitise them all. We have a bog standard flatbed scanner but it's fierce time consuming to place the photos one at a time, scan, crop, adjust, save the file yadda yadda.

I figure there must be some consumer grade auto-feeding scanner on the market that would do the trick and help him get these done in no time. Can the good people of the PROC give any suggestions?

And since this would be a one-off effort, can you hire such a machine, or get one second hand and then sell on?
Old 11-09-2017, 09:53 AM

probably not too helpful, but I just did the same job last week. most flatbed scanners these days will let you throw in 3 or 4 photos and it'll split and save them automatically to individual files. Took me the bones of a day to scan 880 photos (was using canon scan utility)
Old 12-09-2017, 10:17 PM

Thanks, I guess that might work if I can't find an auto-feeding machine. I've seen Canon all-in-one machines on sale in Dunnes yesterday for 40 euro.

I've used Canon DR M160 and Kodak ScanStation 710 for work stuff before and those things can fire through stacks of pages at a rate of knots. Would be great to borrow or hire something like that if it's available anywhere.