tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
UK General Election thread - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-04-2015, 01:20 PM
northmallexile northmallexile is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: As láthair. B'fhéidir go bhfuil sé tinn.
Posts: 12,365
Default UK General Election thread

Don't think there's one of these already.

It's starting to look like a classic 'Two Bald Men fighting over a comb' election. No chance of an overall majority for anyone; the fun will start if the Tories are still the largest party but the only viable electoral arithmetic comes with a Labour-SNP agreement. The British are confused enough by the concept of coalition politics: the notion that the largest party wouldn't necessarily be in government will completely blow their minds.

What constituencies are UK-based Procfolk in? I'm in Gedling, where the local Labour MP will probably get re-elected with an increased majority. I suspect the local UKIP vote will increase as well.
__________________
'Twas plain that there was a want in her that Packy alone could not supply.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15-04-2015, 10:50 AM
northmallexile northmallexile is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: As láthair. B'fhéidir go bhfuil sé tinn.
Posts: 12,365
Default

Interesting for election nerds: http://may2015.com/category/seat-calculator/
__________________
'Twas plain that there was a want in her that Packy alone could not supply.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15-04-2015, 05:04 PM
How bad boy How bad boy is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: MassiveJockNerdLandia
Posts: 20,529
Default

I'm in Reading East. Rob Wilson, the local MP is a non-dissenting Tory. Doesn't seem like the worst chap, but rigidly toes the party line

Last time out, it was a bit of a landslide for the Tories:
2010 Result:
Conservative: 21269 (42.6%)
Labour: 12729 (25.5%)
Lib Dem: 13664 (27.3%)
Green: 1069 (2.1%)
UKIP: 1086 (2.2%)
Independent: 111 (0.2%)
Others: 57 (0.1%)
MAJORITY: 7605 (15.2%)


I'd be surprised if that changed much, besides from some of the vote transferring from the Lib Dems to Labour and UKIP picking up a few more votes.


If the Lib Dems can stay alive, then Labour-Lib Dem-SNP looks the most likely to me.

I fear a Conservative-UKIP coalition, especially if it needs the DUP to ensure a consistent majority. Horrible thought that.

I think the Tories do have a shot at a minority government, despite the polling evidence.

Still, looks like it could be fierce messy.
__________________
The Wrongest Man On The Internet (TM)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15-04-2015, 07:02 PM
The Curious Lozenge The Curious Lozenge is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by How bad boy View Post
I'm in Reading East. Rob Wilson, the local MP is a non-dissenting Tory. Doesn't seem like the worst chap, but rigidly toes the party line

Last time out, it was a bit of a landslide for the Tories:
2010 Result:
Conservative: 21269 (42.6%)
Labour: 12729 (25.5%)
Lib Dem: 13664 (27.3%)
Green: 1069 (2.1%)
UKIP: 1086 (2.2%)
Independent: 111 (0.2%)
Others: 57 (0.1%)
MAJORITY: 7605 (15.2%)


I'd be surprised if that changed much, besides from some of the vote transferring from the Lib Dems to Labour and UKIP picking up a few more votes.


If the Lib Dems can stay alive, then Labour-Lib Dem-SNP looks the most likely to me.

I fear a Conservative-UKIP coalition, especially if it needs the DUP to ensure a consistent majority. Horrible thought that.

I think the Tories do have a shot at a minority government, despite the polling evidence.

Still, looks like it could be fierce messy.
don't think anyone would go into government with ukip would they?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbabe08 View Post
When did Italy become a Latin country?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly sham View Post
it's about time they made this similar to the 7s and broth in a bowl, plate, shield to give teams more gams.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15-04-2015, 08:14 PM
How bad boy How bad boy is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: MassiveJockNerdLandia
Posts: 20,529
Default

They're basically just the right of the tory party...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15-04-2015, 08:17 PM
jams jams is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 10,219
Default

Or the left of the greens on the circular spectrum
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15-04-2015, 11:04 PM
The Curious Lozenge The Curious Lozenge is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by How bad boy View Post
They're basically just the right of the tory party...
yes but they're political poison. siding with them would stain a party for decades. like sinn fein.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbabe08 View Post
When did Italy become a Latin country?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly sham View Post
it's about time they made this similar to the 7s and broth in a bowl, plate, shield to give teams more gams.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16-04-2015, 12:57 AM
Wibble Wibble is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 15
Default

UKIP will be lucky to return more than a single MP; they're not troubling the government benches any time soon.

Conservative/Lib Dem coalition, possibly with the DUP in tow, still the most likely outcome.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 16-04-2015, 09:13 AM
northmallexile northmallexile is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: As láthair. B'fhéidir go bhfuil sé tinn.
Posts: 12,365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibble View Post
UKIP will be lucky to return more than a single MP; they're not troubling the government benches any time soon.

Conservative/Lib Dem coalition, possibly with the DUP in tow, still the most likely outcome.
I suspect they'll have 3 or 4. They'll hold onto the two they have, and might pick up another couple: not sure will Farage win his though.

But yeah, not the kingmakers they're being cracked up to be.

Any Scottish-based Procfolk? Is it going to be the SNP landslide everyone's predicting?
__________________
'Twas plain that there was a want in her that Packy alone could not supply.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18-04-2015, 08:38 PM
greengrass greengrass is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,598
Default

Are Snp still on for 40+ s seats. Hard to see Labour getting in if they wont deal with them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 10:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.