Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 20-10-2014, 07:46 PM

Default The Sean Og Tribute Thread

I better start this now before the other thread is completely hijacked!People already know how big a Sean Og fan i am.The man is more than just a Cork sporting legend to me.I consider Sean Og to be a personal friend of mine even though i only met him the once at his book signing.I could go on and on but that acceptance speech.That display against Kilkenny in the 2004 all ireland.That rallying point he scored in the both the Waterford and Clare games in 2005.I remember clearly to this day cheering like a mad man when he won the county championship with Na Piarsaigh 10 years ago along with his brothers.

And the last great standout Sean Og moment in a Cork jersey that monster point against Waterford in the closing stages of the 2012 all ireland quarter final when Waterford were mounting a come back.Then i think back to the league final in 1998 and the 1999 all ireland win.All the special moments in my life these past few years have coincided with Sean Ogs highs and lows.Thinking about Sean Ogs career takes me back to when i was a 14 year old and to be honest im sad it's all over and im sad that all these years have just flown by.Sean Ogs highs and lows have formed the background of my life since my early teenage years.I remember the days of 1998 and 1999 like it was yesterday.Sean Og the former Cork and Na Piarsaigh star will take some time to get used to.Of course there was the strikes and they will cloud some peoples judgement of the man.I certainly didn't agree with everything that happened that time and in the aftermath.But i felt at the time and still feel that Sean Og and the players actions were driven by a great concern for the welfare of Cork hurling and GAA going forward and that they were provoked into striking three times by the county board.But my main point is that Sean Og ended his time with Cork on a high and yesterday he bowed out on a high after playing an outstanding game for Na Piarsaigh.The man on and off the pitch conducted himself with grace dignity and integrity at all times.Sean Og is a very special man who has touched manys peoples hearts all over the country nevermind Cork.

I have one last thing to say we all know about what happened to Sean Og when he made his full championship debut for Cork in 1997 against Clare.We all know what happened that day when some despicable lowlife playing for Clare that day racially abused him and called him a black cnut.We all know about how much that remark cut deep into the heart of Sean Og and everyone who knew him.It was that sense of hurt and outrage that caused one of Sean Ogs Cork teammates to hit that Clare man a punch when he ran into him.Now im not a violent man but if that former Clare player ever sees me coming down a dark alley my advice to him is to start running and start running fast.Thank you for everything Sean Og and whatever you do in the future we will be with you every step of the way.
Old 20-10-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I consider Sean Og to be a personal friend of mine even though i only met him the once at his book signing.
Old 20-10-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover88 View Post
Lol
Old 20-10-2014, 08:02 PM

Rip
Old 20-10-2014, 08:09 PM
Senior PROC Member

Oh YoughalY
Old 20-10-2014, 08:10 PM

Im sure Right Half Back won't mind if i put his post in here.

Quote:
well said Cork 1990. SeanOg played some great football yesterday particularly in the second half when his foot passing into the corner forwards was top class. A truly great player and we never really got to see enough of him in the Cork football jersey but he was a fantastic footballer/athlete/hurler and a nicer fella you would have to travel a long way to meet.

I hope he will stay involved with his club and with Rebel Og squads as a mentor and coach as he has so much to offer youngsters since he has done it all in his career - hurling all Irelands, hurling allstars, football all Ireland appearance, football national league, football Munster, county hurling championship, Compromise rules appearance for Ireland at a time when he wasn't even playing football with Cork, Liam McCarthy acceptance speech in Irish - what a list of achievements and he came damn close to entering the history books alongside Teddy Mac in 1999 when the footballers kicked away an All Ireland against Meath in which he played a very good game at full back.

I'm proud to have watched that man play for so long and proud to have met him many times and chatted with him. A true gentleman and a legend on and off the field. Sean Og Abu
Old 20-10-2014, 08:44 PM
PROC Member

We will sound like a 2-man Sean Og appreciation society Youghally but I'm sure there will be many others joining in very quickly - that man makes me proud to be a Corkman and I can't pay him a bigger compliment than that
Old 20-10-2014, 08:50 PM

Amen Youghally
Old 20-10-2014, 08:56 PM

is he dead?
Old 20-10-2014, 09:02 PM

Is he retired for sure ? Anyway i said it here last night Sean Og is one of our greats ...but i would put him up there with JBM in terms of how they played the games sportsman to the backbone whether in victory or defeat ...a gentleman on and off the field .....thanks Sean Og manys the day you lit up my life ....all the best for the future ....