Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 21-05-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingin View Post
tickets for the croatia game are plentiful as far as i can make out. i got mine on the portal but have been trying to pick up italy tickets wih ages and have lost count the amount of times i've been offered croatia tickets.
Ya, they seemed to release the restriced view ones at different times. Spanish ones went on sale first, then Italy about an hour later, and Croatia yesterday evening. Got Croatia tickets aswell so I'm sorted for all games now

Apparently ticket sales from UEFA ticket portal by nationality:

Ireland-Croatia game

Ireland 12 063
Poland 8 312
Croatia 6 238
Germany 688
England 231
United States 135
Northern Ireland 101
Netherlands 86
Australia 57
Canada 55

Ireland - Italy game:

Ireland 12 204
Poland 8 263
Italy 5 346
Germany 700
England 246
United States 138
Canada 119
The Netherlands 103
Northern Ireland 89

Good chunk of those Polish tickets will end up in Irish hands too I'd imagine. Then you have all the tickets from the FAI etc. We're going to be well represented at each game as usual
Old 21-05-2012, 03:38 PM

Looking forward to seeing the country come to a real standstill for sport.

Not like the spoofy standstill the Dublin media tried to convince us was going on during the Rugby invite World Cup.
Old 22-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Banned

Hopefully he can hit some kind of form for us, I think Doyler will be critical for us at the Euros as we will be under the kosh regularly and his ability to hold the ball will be critical

That said, I think I would be siding with Longy right now but lets seee how things pan out in the run up to Poland

The only way is up for Doyle

CARL O'MALLEY

SOCCER: FOR THOSE who’ve been asking, Kevin Doyle hasn’t gone anywhere. His profile has been lower this year, and if he decides to remain at Wolves it could sink further, but he’s not hiding and – as is the case with a few others – the next few weeks are his chance to put things right.

Doyle was relegated from the Premier League for the second time in his career some weeks ago, adding a demotion with Wolves to the pain he felt when Reading went down in 2008.

The Wexford man saw this one coming, he was just powerless to stop it. It had that car crash feel to it. It all appeared to be happening in slow motion and then it ended with a thud. Now, it’s nice to be somewhere else.

“I would say this is refreshing,” admitted Doyle yesterday. “I had a week off at home to see the family, which was nice. Now the weather is nice, the pitch is lovely, we have new footballs . . . little things. It’s nice to be in a different environment.

“ has not been a shock. We’ve had six weeks to get over it. And in the final weeks it had been inevitable. Not like at Reading, where I had to join up with the Irish squad just after we got relegated. That was tough. That was the worst I’ve felt, I’d say, because that was a shock to the system. This time, we’ve had three years being in and out of the bottom three.”

The Republic of Ireland striker spoke a little like he’d been worn down by it all. Three years is a long time to be fighting the same fight but he’s not ducking the criticism, and is grateful he, Stephen Ward, Stephen Hunt and Kevin Foley still have a chance to end the season on a bit of a high.

“Not one of my best” is how he sums up a season in which he scored four in 26 starts. “Probably didn’t enjoy it from start to finish. It wasn’t great for anyone. I’m glad it’s over and I’m glad this is coming up. It was tough for everyone to get through the last few weeks of the season but at least the four of us had this to keep ourselves fit and train right and stay motivated.”

The good news for Ireland is he has retained his “inner confidence” and will defend his record from the critics and fight for his place in the starting XI against Croatia in Poznan on June 10th.

“Everyone has their opinion. My goal-scoring this year wasn’t good but in the Premier League I’ve always played with teams who are one of the favourites to be relegated. I’ve been top scorer in those teams the majority of the seasons I’ve been there. One of the top scorers in the Championship the two seasons I’ve been there.”

Even so, the perception is the 28-year-old is under threat, not least from his old friend and room-mate Shane Long, whose eight goals at West Brom only tell a fraction of the story of how their respective seasons differed.

“Any of them,” he says, referring to the trio of alternative striking options available to Giovanni Trapattoni. “You could say the same about Jonathan Walters. They will all want to play just like I want to play – it has never been any different. I wouldn’t call it a threat, it’s just that we both want to play. If I don’t play I don’t look at him and think ‘God, that f***er’. That’s the way it is and I’m sure it’s vice versa. We have some decent options up front. Simon Cox has done very well when he has played for Ireland.

“I feel fit and sharp in training which is nice. The end of the season, I have been working hard the last few months to make sure I am in good shape for this, so I’m sure whatever he is thinking he will want to see us training and that will make his mind up. I won’t be doing anything different to try and persuade him to play me. Whatever I’ve been doing in training the last few years seems to have worked.”

Talking himself up, doesn’t come naturally to Doyle, and he insists he’d think twice about leaving Wolves for another relegation scrap in the top flight. But he’d welcome a few options this summer, even one from abroad if he does himself some favours in Poland.

“We’ve just been relegated and you want to give yourself a boost, personally. And playing well and showing what you can do on a stage like that, it can only be good for your career for giving yourself opportunities in the future, certainly. I’d never have any issues playing abroad, I don’t see why if you had the opportunity you wouldn’t take it. There are so many people come to England to play football and it seems to do them good, I don’t think you should not want to go.”

That will all sort itself out if things go to plan against Croatia, Spain and Italy and hopefully beyond. Next month doesn’t just mean putting right a club season, it’s about easing a decade of heartache on the international stage, as well. “We’ve been in the doldrums as a footballing country for 10 years. We’ve had a lot of bad moments along the way. Since I’ve been in the squad we’ve taken a lot of stick – rightly at times – and this is a chance to experience the other side of it.”
Old 23-05-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Before Ireland this time round, only 2 nations hv come to Euros 24 yrs after their previous appearance - FRA in 84 & GRE in 04. Both won
It's in the bag

45-0
Old 25-05-2012, 09:36 AM

which team would you pick for the opening game, and which do you think trap will go for? i'd choose:

given
kelly o'shea dunne ward
mcgeady whelan andrews duff
keane ... and this is the tricky one ... doyle

i think i'd give doyle the nod but with walters ready to come in if doyler isn't doing it. long and cox would be down the pecking order.

trap i think will pick a similar side but with o'shea at RB and st ledger in the middle. he will likely also play the wingers on the opposite sides.
Old 25-05-2012, 09:43 AM

I'd have Long and Walters ahead of Doyle.

45-0
Old 25-05-2012, 09:44 AM

Trap not too happy with O'Shea after playing v united under threat of injury

Hope he is 100% we need him
Old 25-05-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapsy Pa View Post
I'd have Long and Walters ahead of Doyle.
that seems to be the general mood alright.

walters looked a bit shattered in the later part of the season, whereas doyle should be pretty fresh and eager to impress and he looks to get out of wolves.

long has never fully convinced me in an ireland shirt yet, bar one game i think.
Old 25-05-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve sanders View Post
which team would you pick for the opening game, and which do you think trap will go for? i'd choose:

given
kelly o'shea dunne ward
mcgeady whelan andrews duff
keane ... and this is the tricky one ... doyle

i think i'd give doyle the nod but with walters ready to come in if doyler isn't doing it. long and cox would be down the pecking order.

trap i think will pick a similar side but with o'shea at RB and st ledger in the middle. he will likely also play the wingers on the opposite sides.
I think he'll go:

Given
O'Shea Dunne Sledge Ward
McEddie Whelan Andrews Duff
Keano Walters

He seems very impressed with Walters and tbf he's performed well when called upon. Imo Trap thinks this is his strongest side and he'll want to stick with as settled an eleven as possible for all the group games. We'll play the same way no matter who we're up against so he'll be looking to the first game to make sure that everyone is well drilled and knows their assignments for the two tougher games to come.

I'd agree that Robbie's partner is the the position that's most up for grabs. Doyle has only impressed in patches in a green jersey and his club form has fallen way off, so I think Trap would have Cox and maybe even Long ahead of him in the pecking order as well as Walters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whathefeck View Post
I've used a few alts for votes
Old 25-05-2012, 12:57 PM

Can anyone remember what is the story with the bench in the Euros?

Is the entire remainder of the squad named as subs and Trap can choose his three to come on, from all of them?