Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 30-04-2012, 11:32 AM

Default Inter 0 Sampdoria 2 1991

This match came back into my memory today because it was when Roberto Mancini was involved in a "title decider" like tonight's game as a player.
It's probably my favourite game of all time, I remember RTE2 (or Network 2 as it was called back then) used to have a Serie A highlights show on Monday night which I watched religiously.
Inter went into the game needing a win to keep alive their hopes of winning the title (like United tonight). They had Samp pinned back for most of the game but were hit on the counter when Dossena scored his first goal of the season for Samp after being set up by Vialli. Vialli himself wrapped it up later. Mancini didn't cover himself in glory; sent off along with Bergomi of Inter after a ridiculous dive in the penalty area.
I remember this game vividly as it had everything;a missed penalty, two sendings off, goals against the run of play and rioting by fans (not that I condone the latter btw).
I actually taped it and watched it again at the weekend, it's only forty minutes, I must put it up on youtube. The only clip I could find of it is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah2RiYxej7A
If tonight is anything like it we should be in for a cracker.
Old 30-04-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne gayle View Post
This match came back into my memory today because it was when Roberto Mancini was involved in a "title decider" like tonight's game as a player.
It's probably my favourite game of all time, I remember RTE2 (or Network 2 as it was called back then) used to have a Serie A highlights show on Monday night which I watched religiously.
Inter went into the game needing a win to keep alive their hopes of winning the title (like United tonight). They had Samp pinned back for most of the game but were hit on the counter when Dossena scored his first goal of the season for Samp after being set up by Vialli. Vialli himself wrapped it up later. Mancini didn't cover himself in glory; sent off along with Bergomi of Inter after a ridiculous dive in the penalty area.
I remember this game vividly as it had everything;a missed penalty, two sendings off, goals against the run of play and rioting by fans (not that I condone the latter btw).
I actually taped it and watched it again at the weekend, it's only forty minutes, I must put it up on youtube. The only clip I could find of it is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah2RiYxej7A
If tonight is anything like it we should be in for a cracker.
The Samp keeper had the game of his life.

Is that Lombardo the 7 for Samp?
Old 30-04-2012, 11:41 AM

Enjoyed watching this

Inter fans not exactly graceful

Some bad misses earlier in the game

Disallowed goal looked harsh

Mancini was a great player. Used to love watching him. Vialli was considered the better of the two at the time but I always prefered Mancini.
CTID

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bread Man View Post
The Samp keeper had the game of his life.

Is that Lombardo the 7 for Samp?
A class act
Old 30-04-2012, 12:02 PM

Good stuff.

Inter had some team back then with Brehme, Matthaus and Klinsmann.

Was that Des Walker giving away the peno?

45-0
Old 30-04-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapsy Pa View Post
Good stuff.

Inter had some team back then with Brehme, Matthaus and Klinsmann.

Was that Des Walker giving away the peno?
No he didn't join them until 1992
Old 30-04-2012, 12:34 PM

Great find Wayne. Really jogs the memory seeing that. Back then, monday was all about the Serie A show. Like many I would have known as many, if not more, players in Serie A than the English league. That remains Sampdoria's only scudetto win ever amazingly. They were as good as anyone in Serie A for a long time but very inconsistent. There were some great players like Pagliuca, Vialli, Lombardo and Mancini in that side along with a few hackers like Pietro Vierchowod (a filthy centre half) and journeymen like Alexei Michaelachenko who won 3 league titles in 3 different countries in consecutive years! Dynamo Kiev, Sampdoria, Rangers.
I'd love to watch some more Serie A games from back then to see how it compares to the borefest many games are these days.
Old 30-04-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothewest View Post
Great find Wayne. Really jogs the memory seeing that. Back then, monday was all about the Serie A show. Like many I would have known as many, if not more, players in Serie A than the English league. That remains Sampdoria's only scudetto win ever amazingly. They were as good as anyone in Serie A for a long time but very inconsistent. There were some great players like Pagliuca, Vialli, Lombardo and Mancini in that side along with a few hackers like Pietro Vierchowod (a filthy centre half) and journeymen like Alexei Michaelachenko who won 3 league titles in 3 different countries in consecutive years! Dynamo Kiev, Sampdoria, Rangers.
I'd love to watch some more Serie A games from back then to see how it compares to the borefest many games are these days.
I actually taped nearly every one of the goals roundups they did at the end of that show (and some of the highlights of the games they showed before them). I'm transferring them to DVD (before the quality degrades any further). I might send them to you if I have time (cost of postage and the discs is all I'd want).