Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 14-04-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmona View Post
Looks like our man in Boston is going to be hit by hot weather for race on Monday. Worst case scenario is 30+. Fuck that for a game of.....

They might get it wrong I suppose and the race is relatively early in the morning. Best case scenario? Low 20's say. That already would be my limit but the Terrier (and definitely Carta) seem to be ok with warm weather. Good luck to ye anyway, but don't push it if it turns out to be really hot.
Cheers C. The forecast (which let's face it, is getting pretty accurate now) is saying 22C at the start gun and 29c three hours later, rising to 33/34 in the early afternoon - the highest ever temperature for the Boston marathon FFS.

That's it - game over, no way of running in that heat - even a long walk would be inadvisable. We got a mail from the organisers yesterday which encourages runners to reconsider running at all - and not to think about running a time.

I'm finding it fair difficult to deal with this I can tell you. All that training, injury, arrangements at home to get away and the money spent on getting over going down the drain. I mean, we all knew it could be warm - but the hottest day ever? What a shitty break.
Old 14-04-2012, 01:32 PM

It's a bad break no doubt. But you have to look at it on the basis that this is the Boston Marathon. I've no doubt you're gonna soak it up for what it is come gun-time.

You can but deal with the heat as best you can in terms of hydration and clothing. Take it as a different challenge in itself to deal with the weather and don't kill yourself for an unrealistic time if it is as hot as they are predicting.

Good luck! We're all rooting for ya.
Old 14-04-2012, 02:08 PM

fucking weather!
Hopefully they'll be at least a little wrong BT and it won't get that hot.

I know it's a downer but remember you are running in one of the top marathons in the world and you qualified to get into it.
Soak up the atmosphere and enjoy it.
Old 14-04-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c'mere View Post
Take it as a different challenge in itself
What he said. It's a shame that it's not going to be the race you expected but A) you'll have plenty more chances to go sub 3 and B) you still have the chance this weekend to do a Boston that you're really proud of - you'll just use something other than time to measure it. Have a good one fella.
Old 14-04-2012, 09:15 PM

Boston Update - Now the organisers have announced that "only very fit" athletes should start the race. All first-timers are banned

Also just published is the offer that anyone who has registered but does not go to the start will get automatic entry to next year. This is really going to screw them up next Autumn since the quaifying times for the remainder will get seriously fast. Given that the organisers are willing to put up with this level of hassle it's a clear sign of how bad they think Monday could be.

They are also saying that all non-eite athletes should aim to run one minute per mile slower than target pace.
Old 14-04-2012, 09:44 PM

What are you going to do?
Old 14-04-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkoniense View Post
Yeah SiD it's my first.
My first as well but did the half last year and three fifths (!) the year before as part of a relay.

For what it's worth, I'm sticking with Hal Higdon for this (16 miles today) and am forcing myself to get in the mid weeks runs as they have to have some benefit

I'm also guessing you might have youth on your side!
Old 14-04-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackpoolTerrier View Post
Boston Update - Now the organisers have announced that "only very fit" athletes should start the race. All first-timers are banned

Also just published is the offer that anyone who has registered but does not go to the start will get automatic entry to next year. This is really going to screw them up next Autumn since the quaifying times for the remainder will get seriously fast. Given that the organisers are willing to put up with this level of hassle it's a clear sign of how bad they think Monday could be.

They are also saying that all non-eite athletes should aim to run one minute per mile slower than target
pace.
Good luck man. Stay safe and do Cork proud.
Old 15-04-2012, 11:18 AM

Link to Rotterdam marathon here

http://nos.nl/dossier/231914-maratho.../tab/388/live/

No comment.
Old 15-04-2012, 12:35 PM

Link here for Boston race tomorrow.

http://universalsports.com/video/bos...april-16-2012/