tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Morrisey's autobiography
View Single Post
Old 17-02-2014, 10:48 AM

I heard much of that article, not least the damning final paragraph, but the part that most puts me off reading the book (which I received as a Christmas gift) is this:

'It’s what’s left out of this book rather than what’s put in that is strangest. There is an absence of music, not just in its tone, but the content. There are emetic pools of limpid prose about the music business, the ingratitude of fellow musicians and band members and the lack of talent in other performers, but there is nothing about the making of music itself, the composing of lyrics, the process of singing or the emotion of creation. He seems to assume we will already know his back catalogue and can hum along to his recorded life. This is 450 pages of what makes Morrissey, but nothing of what Morrissey makes.'

I've spent 15 years or so listening to The Smiths, and what I would most want to read is the creation of some of the most magnificent lyrics and tunes. Inspiration, muses, developing, collaboration... I'm not as interested in Morrissey as I am in what The Smiths created.