tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Official Boxing Thread
View Single Post
Old 21-11-2019, 01:17 PM

Cork pro boxer Gary 'Spike' O'Sullivan has landed another mega fight. He will face unbeaten Mexican Jaime Munguia in a headline bout in the 64,000-seater Alamadome in San Antonia, Texas on January 11.
Even though it is not a world title fight, the contest is a huge opportunity for O'Sullivan, whose career has touched new heights in the last two years.

Munguia is the current unbeaten WBO light middleweight champion and has made five defences of the belt between July 2018 and last September. However, his career almost came unstuck against Brisbane based Irishman Dennis Hogan is Monterrey in April.

Munguia was decidedly fortunate to win the fight on a majority decision. He promised Hogan a rematch but not surprisingly didn't follow through on it.

It has been long anticipated that the 23-year old would ultimately forfeit the 154 lb belt and move up to middleweight. His clash against the 35-year-old Mahon native is his first venture into the 160 lb division.

This is a defining fight as well for O'Sullivan who has failed in previous high profile clashes against Billy Joe Saunders, Chris Eubank Jr and David Lexieux.

But he is unbeaten in his 30 other contests and is relishing the opportunity to challenge Munguia in the home of the University of Texas football team.

"I grew up watching the great Mexican champions and to get the opportunity to fight Jaime is an honour. It will leave no stone unturned in my preparation for this fight. I can't recall feeling more motivated by any other fight in my career thus far. I believe this fight will be a war that the fans will talk about for many years to come."